Playing with some abstract ideas

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought I'd take a break from hounding my children with the camera (paparazzi mommy?) and play around with some abstract ideas.

I came up with this shot and for some reason, even though it's quite plain, I really like it quite a bit:) Does this work, or do you think I could have achieved the idea more nicely doing (x, y, z...)? Thanks for taking a look!

144.jpg

i like it. has quite a graphical look to it. rotated anti-clockwise through 90 degrees may look good. the lighting could possibly be tweaked..but then again the slight vignetting adds to the overall look, i think. nice, spontaneous idea.

it is a mirror, abstract should be something unidentifiable, that makes the viewer question the subject and really delve into their imagination to determine what exactly they see in the photo.

imo.

maybe from a different angle this would work? Maybe if you put your camera flush with the wall and then took the pic of the edge of the mirror?

I du no, I'm still new and I still suck :) lol

Cool. A tighter crop would disguise that the object is a mirror. Try that to make the photo "more" abstract.

it is a mirror, abstract should be something unidentifiable, that makes the viewer question the subject and really delve into their imagination to determine what exactly they see in the photo.

imo.

This is pretty funny coming from you. :lmao:

I like it, it has a certain visual appeal.

I think it is fine how it is. If anything, getting a little more of the mirror into the frame. You have those fantastic 3 colored vertical lines in there that should be brought out a little more, to balance all the white space. Also, the softeness of those lines contrast to the very strong dark curved lines of the mirrors frame.

This is a great example of looking around you to find interesting abstract compositions of lines.

I like it!

I like the colors and the fact that it makes me wonder what I'm looking at

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I liked the 3 vertical lines in it as well... but they were totally unintentional! I spent the longest time trying to figure out how that happened =P As for not being a true abstract photo, maybe it would be more correct to consider it simply looking at something common in a different way? Somebody around here had that quote in there signature and it really stuck with me: "Photography isn't so much about what you see, but how you see it." =)

Laguna- My husband spent a while trying to figure out what this was a picture of and I had to tell him, even though he sees that mirror every day! LOL

And bitter- I hadn't even realized how this might tie in with that "lines" project I'd seen so many people working on. I think it was primarily the contrast of the dark curve of the mirror that I liked against the soft blue wall. I was just picking up the room after taking pictures of (suprise) my son again, and when I stood up the corner of the mirror caught my eye in a different way than it had the thousand other times I've passed by it. Maybe that's what photography does when you take it up as a serious hobby? You really do start to "see" things differently....

I appreciate all the thoughtful replies, it really is encouraging to me, still being pretty new to all of this!

Most reactions

Back