Please help #2!

zoe08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photoartclub.net
Well I really didnt get many low key shots either, and I think most the ones I got I had the light too bright. And I didnt have a black background just a black panel to put behind so I could only take close shots....

Anyways here are a few, please let me know what I can do better when I do my other shoot on Friday.

couple_lk.jpg

traci_lk.jpg

shane_lk.jpg

They appear underexposed..what camera are you shooting with?

Also, there aren't any catchlights in your eyes, suggesting to me that your light is too high. Try bringing it down a bit and move it in closer until you can see them in your subjects eyes. A general rule is to have catchlights at 10 and/or 2.

:)

I have a Nikon D70...

Thanks, I will try moving the light down closer next time. It is very stressing to try to get all these pictures down in a 2 hour time limit, including checking out, setting up and packing the lights away.

Have you ever considered using only candle light for low key?
Not that I know anything about portrait photography, it is just springing to mind that - provided your models can sit that still for so long - such low light situation might create the desired low key effect?

Thats a good idea, but we are supposed to use the strobes for the assignment. He had some lighting set-ups drawn up for us to try. And I was trying to do that. I just think I should have lowered the light some.

I agree with JenniferLynn open up a stop or 2 and catch lights in eyes make pictures way better. They kinda bring you models to life...kinda...

I think you're on the right track here...dark BG, dark shirt, darkish hair, dark eyes. It's just you're exposure is under by a lot.
Perhaps keep the exposure on the BG as is here and up the light on your subject...the subject should be properly exposed I would think.
you'll get it :D

LED torches can add catchlights. IMO catchlights are virtually essential. They're very cold shots - perhaps chuck a warming filter at 17% over them in PS. Portraiture is very difficult, and you've done well here, just a bit more brightness would make the world of difference!

Rob

LED torches? Im sorry Im not very experienced at tall. This is only my 2nd semester in a photo class and first semester using the studio. We only did portraits once the first semester and we had to do it outside w/ natural light. And I really havent learned how to use photoshop yet. I can convert to B&W and fix the contrast kind of but thats mostly it.

Thanks for the info. And I will make the light closer to the height of the person's face next time.

Torch is Brit for flashlight.

I think the light is a bit flat on the first one and a little awkward on the second. For the second one, I think having the light come from the right would be more flattering.

I like the light position in the third one. Do you mind if I pull it into PS to play with the levels?

I think you've gotten some great advice so far. All the elements are there, right clothing, background, etc. Have you tried bracketing your shots? One tip I have would be to bracket, shoot the same pose with a variety of f/stops or shutter speeds so you get a range of exposures to review later.

Anyone who wants to play with them in photoshop go ahead! I need as many as possible to try to turn in cuz I do not think there is a way I can get at least 72 images in 2 hours on Friday.

And any suggestions for clothing or poses or lighting for my Friday shoot please post and let me know! I have a lot of male models, and not female, and I have a harder time coming up with poses for guys.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

here's one for ya
all i did was adjust the white point level slider in Levels and sharpen it a bit.
would look much better on the hi-res file I'm sure

shanelk11oy.jpg

Most reactions

Back