Please help me win photo contest with your votes

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by maxpixel, Oct 20, 2009.

1. maxpixel

maxpixel TPF Noob!

2. joemc

joemc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How can we vote for yours when we can not see the competition?

Isn't that cheating?

3. maxpixel

maxpixel TPF Noob!

Thanks for asking Joe. I gave a link directly to my vote page in order to make it as easy as possible for those who were kind enough to help, but
    there is a link right in the middle of the page that says return to gallery
    and vote for another contestant; and if someone wants to vote against
    me, they certainly have that option.

4. Chuck

Chuck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So you've joined a photo forum to ask complete strangers to vote for your photo??

5. maxpixel

maxpixel TPF Noob!

Certainly Chuck, why not? It's a contest based on the public voting for you.
    Why would I not think that I could reach out to other newbie photographers and ask them to vote?

6. mishele

mishele Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe you should take the best picture to win..............[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. syphlix

syphlix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not too interesting of a photo...

8. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That actually goes for most of them there.

I cast my vote for who I thought should win

9. pony

pony TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice!
    I could use a camcorder. Off to search for petting zoo pics :lol:

10. maxpixel

maxpixel TPF Noob!

Wow....I'm not sure what my crime was here. I spent two hours working really hard to get a photo in ridiculously impossible conditions and then entered it in a contest that requires people to vote. My photo is not great but it is far better than the cellphone snapshots I am competing against. I had no idea that reaching out to the photography community for help would
    make so many people feel that I was taking advantage of them. It seemed to me that the beginners forum was a good place for a beginner to ask for help but I guess the only help that most people want to give is their precious advice and criticism. I am sorry to have disturbed you, it won't happen again.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

hum ... it did not appeared you were asking for advice or criticism in the first post ... maybe you did but I just did not noticed.

I thought you were asking forum member to vote for you to win ... well, at least that's what I thought, I could be wrong.

12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well entry into the competition appears to have ended so I can't get to see the terms and conditions for entry into the compeition - however a lot of competitions like this don't have a judge or any formal voting because the quality of the winning pic is not that important.
    What the company's are often after is a rights grab -that is when an image is submitted they (the company) get a full royalty free right to use that image for any use, to modify it in any way and the photographer taking the shot has no right to contest nor to get royalties. This extends beyond promotin of the competition itself (often a common feature of most comps) and into the business world. Essentialy the company puts up a decent prize and then opens the doors - they get a lot of rubbish and a few good shots which they can use themselves or sell on - its far cheaper than paying for hte images themselves.
    Since I can't see/find the TC for this site I can't say if this is or is not what is happening, but it is highly likley to be the case.

On a second point is free advertising, since each person runs away and plugs their site to all the ones they are one and as many others as well - its little different from spambots posting spamads for places, save that the company is legit in this case. This is certainly happening as you have just proved ;)

Ergo that is why these sorts of competitions are generally frowned upon - especaily on photography forums.
    Also as a final academic question (that is I am NOT trying to get at you at all with this point) you critisize members here for not helping a fellow photographer, but you fail to realise that others in the competition are also as valid "photographers" as you yourself are.