Please take a look and CC these

pic_chick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys I have been working on dof and getting a good blur in my background also placing my focus these are the best 2 and I would love some CC on them. I know they where shot in P and maybe even full auto but I have to walk before I can run and I am working in M trying to build on all my skills but to tell the truth most are poop I have a lot to learn. So what do you think over all but mostly DOF and the focus being in the correct place ohh and how is the lighting on the cat i am really enjoying bouncing my flash around hehe
$Shana Fairchild Photography-2-3.jpg

]$Shana Fairchild Photography-3-3.jpg

I personally don't like using a flash. I would just get a room with plentiful natural light and a faster shutter speed.

never an option at my house I have one window per room and they all face a wall

Using a flash properly is yet one more facet of photography that a well-rounded photographer needs to come to grips with. The majority of the "I Prefer Natural Light" crowd are those who have never taken the time to do so.

Your cat is cropped too tightly and the depth of field is very shallow. His nose is in focus but his right ear isn't. There are also some pretty harsh shadows behind him.

Using a flash properly is yet one more facet of photography that a well-rounded photographer needs to come to grips with. The majority of the "I Prefer Natural Light" crowd are those who have never taken the time to do so.

Your cat is cropped too tightly and the depth of field is very shallow. His nose is in focus but his right ear isn't. There are also some pretty harsh shadows behind him.

Thanks I see that now I need to work on the way I look at photos as well I did not see that shadow. Any pointer on how to avoid with a one flash set up well two I have the on-board flash as well. I am thinking I should have added more light behind the cat.

Any pointer on how to avoid with a one flash set up well two I have the on-board flash as well. I am thinking I should have added more light behind the cat.

One flash - dont have the flash pointed directly at the cat. If it' hot shoe mounted, bounce it. If it's OCF, the world is your oyster.

Pop up flash - dont use it.

Get the shadows off the wall.... Move the cat further away from the wall, move your light source, or both. The more you experiment with light, the more you understand it, and the better you get along with one another.

Thanks I see that now I need to work on the way I look at photos as well I did not see that shadow. Any pointer on how to avoid with a one flash set up well two I have the on-board flash as well. I am thinking I should have added more light behind the cat.

I'm not very good with indoor lighting, but the bounce flash was a step in the right direction, it just didn't diffuse enough. Getting the cat further from the wall behind will help a great deal.

The f/1.8 aperture is the reason for your narrow depth of field. That close your depth of field was very shallow.

Thank you guys I will put that to use. you have both been very helpful.

Flash? Diffuse it!! Soften it!! As mentioned, you can bounce it if you have a white wall or ceiling handy. You can use a large bounce card on the flash, or near the flash. You can get On-flash diffusers that work well like the Litescoop, or softbox types like lastolite and Westcott make. There are also many CHEAP knock off softboxes you can get, like Fotodiox makes.

There are also a ton of DIY projects for diffusers on the internet... just google!

Like Strad mentioned... get the flash off camera, in your hand.. on a bracket or a light stand. Use an umbrella (shoot through or reflective), or a softbox as mentioned earlier! lots of choices!

Natural (AMBIENT.. ALL light is natural) light is wonderful, when you have it! If you don't have it, you HAVE to add it. Many amateur photographers (especially many of those that CLAIM to be PROS) use Ambient light as a cop out claiming to be Natural Light Photographers! What they are really saying is that they DON'T know how to use flash properly, and are usually scared to death of it! All photography is LIGHT! Learn to use it... whether the sun provides it, or you add it with flash!

Flash? Diffuse it!! Soften it!! As mentioned, you can bounce it if you have a white wall or ceiling handy. You can use a large bounce card on the flash, or near the flash. You can get On-flash diffusers that work well like the Litescoop, or softbox types like lastolite and Westcott make. There are also many CHEAP knock off softboxes you can get, like Fotodiox makes.

There are also a ton of DIY projects for diffusers on the internet... just google!

Like Strad mentioned... get the flash off camera, in your hand.. on a bracket or a light stand. Use an umbrella (shoot through or reflective), or a softbox as mentioned earlier! lots of choices!

Natural (AMBIENT.. ALL light is natural) light is wonderful, when you have it! If you don't have it, you HAVE to add it. Many amateur photographers (especially many of those that CLAIM to be PROS) use Ambient light as a cop out claiming to be Natural Light Photographers! What they are really saying is that they DON'T know how to use flash properly, and are usually scared to death of it! All photography is LIGHT! Learn to use it... whether the sun provides it, or you add it with flash!

Thanks I am working on bouncing my flash off a white poster board right now the ceiling and wall are a no go I live in a photography nightmare of a house the walls are all peach really really peach and the ceilings are 15 feet high and off white ,I think could just be the peach reflecting on to them. I hate it but I am renting and painting that much wall white... Nope I don't want to do it so I am trying to learn to work with around it. I will look into a soft box for the on board flash then maybe I can use it more.

Could a white sheet do the same work as an umbrella or does the shape play a role?

Could a white sheet do the same work as an umbrella or does the shape play a role?

Try it!

I know a few people who have made outdoor diffusers by stretching a bedsheet in a PVC frame, and having an assistant hold it between the subject and the sun. Allows them to shoot in harsh sunlight and tame things down a bit.

I have made diffusers out of all kinds of things........

for example....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/241182-diy-1-speedlight-modifier.html

Have some fun with it.... that's what this is all about, isn't it?

^what he said! Anything that diffuses light can be used.. just be careful to make sure it doesn't throw color casts...

Try it!

I know a few people who have made outdoor diffusers by stretching a bedsheet in a PVC frame, and having an assistant hold it between the subject and the sun. Allows them to shoot in harsh sunlight and tame things down a bit.

I have made diffusers out of all kinds of things........

for example....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/241182-diy-1-speedlight-modifier.html

Have some fun with it.... that's what this is all about, isn't it?

^what he said! Anything that diffuses light can be used.. just be careful to make sure it doesn't throw color casts...

Thank you guys. I am having fun with the diy stuff as well.

Most reactions

Back