Please teach me something about lens?

av8er79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am sort of new to the forum and have been mostly reading threads. I have decided to purchase my first digital SLR. I have decided on the Nikon D90. However I have not decided on which lens I am going to get for it. I am sure as I get more comfortable with the camera I will purchase more lens in the future… probably a macro and wide angle and maybe a couple others. But for now I just want one good all around lens. I am trying to keep my budget for my lens around 600 bucks. I will primarily use it to shoot landscapes on vacation as well as the usual photos of the children and family gatherings. I want something with a good range and it seems that the Nikon 18-200 VR would probably work fine but I am not set on it yet. I am looking to learn more about lens in general before making my mind up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408518-USA/Nikon_2159_18_200mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_IF_AF_S.html

Can you guys recommend a book or some good links that will teach me more about lens? I don’t really understand why lens with similar f-stops can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars. Thanks for your patience. Also I was just wondering what would a 200mm lens be equal to if it were expressed in optical zoom?

Scott

Lenses of same size / specifications can differ in price just due to construction. Metal vs. plastic, more glass elements, better glass in the elements, features like vibration reduction, type auto focusing, lens design in general.

To figure out Zoom power. Just divide the max focal length by the minimum. 18-200 is approx 11x.

If you wanted to get just one lens at the beginning and wanted to do a large range of different types of photography. The 18-200 VR is a good value.

Also I was just wondering what would a 200mm lens be equal to if it were expressed in optical zoom?
To answer this part first..."optical zoom" numbers that you see on small digital cameras, refer only to the range of the zoom...not the actual power or magnification of the lens.
For example, the 18-200mm would be an '11X zoom' because 200mm is about 11 times longer than 18mm. A 70-200mm lens would be a '2.9X zoom' because 200mm is about 2.9 times longer than 70mm. Either way, 200mm will be exactly the same focal length and magnification on the camera.

So don't concern yourself with 'optical zoom X' numbers.

u spent that much money on these types of questions??

MY canon s5 could suit your described needs

u guys may be right about the s5. But I am actually hoping to get something I can really grow into. macro photography really interests me. I really have a passion for photography and am hoping that one day I could turn it into a source of income... But I guess that is a different discussion.

ill teach you this. its lenses. not lens. good luck

The 55-200 VR is a great lens and ridiculously sharp for its price, but it's quite lacking at the wide end for a DX frame. From what I've read, you'll find little difference at most lengths between it and the 18-200 VR. Of course, you can get the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR to get the same coverage for a lot less money, but, trust me, you'll be changing lenses all the time.

Most reactions

Back