Point and Shoot

.Cipher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, will I get hung or ridiculed if I talk in here about using a point n shoot instead of a DSLR? It's not that I wouldn't like to be using a DSLR, but finances bar that happening, at least for the present time.

No...

Actually I'd like to ridicule all of the DSLR users in favor of REAL SLR cameras. None of that makes any difference though. Get yourself a nice point and shoot if it suites your needs, but understand that if you buy a new P&S every 2 years because they break in your pocket you've spent as much money as if you had bought a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D40. You're more likely to treat a DSLR with more respect and it will likely last you longer.

That being said, if a point and shoot matches your expectations, you will be very happy. If it does not, you will be buying something that does meet your expectations later on down the road, at which point, you've wasted money on the first purchase and frustrated yourself. Many of us have done this. I know I have.

Last edited:
No...

Actually I'd like to ridicule all of the DSLR users in favor of REAL SLR cameras. None of that makes any difference though. Get yourself a nice point and shoot if it suites your needs, but understand that if you buy a new P&S every 2 years because they break in your pocket you've spent as much money as if you had bought a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D40. You're more likely to treat a DSLR with more respect and it will likely last you longer.

That being said, if a point and shoot matches your expectations, you will be very happy. If it does not, you will be buying something that does meet your expectations later on down the road, at which point, you've wasted money on the first purchase and frustrated yourself. Many of us have done this. I know I have.

Well, our old P&S's sensor is fried to the point where we had colored dots in photos. So the main purpose is to make sure we get pics of our kids, etc. But I have always had an interest in photography, so I am going to take what I can with the new camera until the time comes that a DSLR may be economically feasible. I'm in transition out of my old career, and am actually thinking I may go to school for photography. Who knows where it all may lead....

Well, our old P&S's sensor is fried to the point where we had colored dots in photos. So the main purpose is to make sure we get pics of our kids, etc. But I have always had an interest in photography, so I am going to take what I can with the new camera until the time comes that a DSLR may be economically feasible. I'm in transition out of my old career, and am actually thinking I may go to school for photography. Who knows where it all may lead....

See that is very sensible. No one should ridicule you for that at all. Please feel free to contribute to this site without reserve about using a P&S. It's public!!! Post up about your problems with the point and shoot in a new thread with a good description of the problem, some sample pictures and the exact model info. Someone should be able to offer some advice and it may be able to tide you over for a bit!

Nah, you won't get ridiculed for using a point and shoot on here. Cameras only capture the photo graph but you compose it. Lots of people on here use point and shoots and post pictures. The majority of my digital photos are point and shoot. If dSLRs are out of your price range, you can always get a nice film slr to supplement your p&S.

there are alot of great point and shoots out there. One camra brand I recommend is Panasonic's Lumix line. A few of them have great Leica lens. They also have nice features you don't find in other cameras in the same class, like the RAW format

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back