polariser help required

eggy900

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.egnerphotography.co.uk
I have just bought a 55mm circular polariser for my digital prosumer, I primarily bought it because i am going to cambodia next week where there will be lots of strong sunlight. Can anyone please give me some useful tips for using it.

Put it on the end of your camera, look through the viewfinder, twiddle it until the glare is minimised! Clouds become wonderful!

Rob

I think the important thing is don't overuse it. It can make your sky go dark in certain conditions. Remember that it will reduce the amount of light by a couple stops.

They also work best if the sun 90 degrees to your shooting direction (try to keep the sun in line with your shoulders).

If you see a shot with a lot of reflected light (ie. looking into a valley while the sun reflects off of leaves and roofs), go for it. Then take another shot without the filter--sort of like bracketing your shots.

You might find that the non-polarized shot works better.

Other than that, there isn't much to it.

Take lots of shots and have fun. We all want to see them when you get back.

The polarizing effect is strongest at 90 degrees to sunlight. So to get maximum effect, have the sun shining on your left or right side while you take the shot.

Most reactions

Back