Polarizer filters

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking at buying a polarizer filter and was just wondering if they effect skin tones... Was thinking of using it for portraits at a farm with lots of sky, grass etc... Just unsure if it changes skin too?? Any information on them would be great... and are any brands better than the other /????? jem

A normal polarizer doesn't change tones, it eliminates reflections. If a person had shiny skin I think it would change the appearance. Overall I haven't ever noticed a significant difference in skin tones when using a polarizer.

There are these new polarizers that change things to blue, gold, etc... I don't have any experience with those.

Thanks matt. Was just 'seeing' shots in my mind of a couple with lots of sky and grass around them in a 'farm' area... perhaps I have had too many southerns??? Love the effect i have seen of sky/clouds in magazines but because I haven't seen any with people in them i was unsure if it was do-able..... thanks, will give it a try later this month .x

a polarizer polarizes light, it does not actually change a color. as light goes around, it travels in waves, some up and down, some side to side, a polarizer makes it so only one or the other gets seen. reflections are scattering of light so eliminating all but one wave direction eliminates a reflection. exact same thing with the sky. Because it eliminated certian "directions of light wave" if you take two polarizers and hold them at 90 degrees to each other, they will eliminate all light.
so to answer your question, no, by its nature a polarizer does not actually change colors, it just eliminates all but a single direction of light wave lenght.

and good....well, i like my Cokin Polarizer... thought Hoya is good and i think Nikon makes a sweet polarizer

But by eliminating glare and reflection it has the effect of increasing color saturation. The scientists may be able to explain why a polarizer doesn't actually change colors, but I can assure you that the sky is normally cyan, and when properly used a polarizer makes it navy blue. To me those are two different colors.

some reflection coming off skin looks good it can help make a face more athletic or appear that way etc..... it also shows muscle tone. , but who knows, it might look cool without it... try it and post the results !!!!!

Most reactions

Back