Polaroid question

Fred Berg

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to get back into using instant film and am following an Ebay auction for a Canon EOS 1 with Polaroid Pro back. My question is: What sort of photo would come out on the Polaroid film, which is surely much bigger than the 35mm shutter opening the camera has? Also, can the Polaroid Pro back be loaded with 600 film? If anyone knows about these things, I'd be grateful for a little info.

Yes. If it's like a medium format proof you'll get a 35mm frame on a 2x3" polaroid. I think i've seen one before (feels familiar), so I am pretty sure that this is the case. These where meant for proofing, not a finished product.

Instead, I would suggest a Polaroid Model 250 or a 6x7 camera with a Polaroid back. The 250 is a wonderful camera. They're a bit pricey on ebay, thanks to the hipsters. Best rangefinder I have ever used.

Also, the Mamiya Press, which is 6x9 had a polaroid back (the Polaroid Universal is the latest of this model) has excellent glass and some models had a weird little t/s back.

They're not very ergonomic at all. But neat cameras.

Yes. If it's like a medium format proof you'll get a 35mm frame on a 2x3" polaroid. I think i've seen one before (feels familiar), so I am pretty sure that this is the case. These where meant for proofing, not a finished product.

Instead, I would suggest a Polaroid Model 250 or a 6x7 camera with a Polaroid back. The 250 is a wonderful camera. They're a bit pricey on ebay, thanks to the hipsters. Best rangefinder I have ever used.

Also, the Mamiya Press, which is 6x9 had a polaroid back (the Polaroid Universal is the latest of this model) has excellent glass and some models had a weird little t/s back.

They're not very ergonomic at all. But neat cameras.

Thanks, UP. Yes, I've noticed the rather high prices of the 250's but will probably try to find one I can afford or else a medium format with Polaroid back. Thanks for confirming my suspicions regarding the Canon - no need to bother in that case.

Edit: Having just looked in Ebay again, it's not the 250's that are so expensive after all but another model (680). Good news! You meant the prices of the rangefinders, I suppose :)

Edit 2: Or did you mean the 250 from Zeiss Ikon? That's a Polaroid rangefinder (with highish prices :( ). Do you know if it takes a film that can still be bought?

Last edited:
Definitely agree - get a Land Camera if you want to get into instant film. The 250s are great, but so are the 100 series, so that can expand your options. My 100 is a rangefinder and has some controls for aperture. I don't know much about the 300 and 400 models. Regardless, the advantage of this variety of Land Camera is the peel-apart film that Fuji makes is very good and still in production. Polariod film - which is now all expired - is hard to come by and it's expensive when you do find it and you can't always be sure it's been stored properly. The only other option for film for 600 or SX-70 cameras is Impossible Project, but those packs will run you about $23-26 for a pack of 8 shots. That's $3 per shot. And the emulsion is great if you hit it right, but it's a very fickle thing at the moment that they are still trying to get right.

The Fuji 100C (yes, that's 100 ISO color) is $9 a pack (10 shots) on Amazon, so it's still more expensive than 35mm or 120 film, but not nearly as costly as Impossible Project. And like I said, it's a really really nice emulsions. I'm really pleased with it. There was a 3000B (high speed black and white) that is just beautiful, but it's been discontinued. I got myself a stash while I could and a few retailers still have some, so I get a pack here and there when I can. But hopefully the color will stay.

And I have hope that it will, because the Fuji Instax series of cameras and film have been very successful. The Instax cameras might be an option, too. They're not that cheap - the mini (size of a business card) runs close to $100 and the wide (about a 2x3 image...sorry, I don't have the metric numbers handy) is something like $65-75. And they're much more automated, which can be good when you don't feel like thinking about it, but it can also be frustrating if you are used to more control. And you can sort of turn off the auto flash, but if the camera thinks it's dark enough, the flash will fire even if it's "off." And it's not a nice flash, so I just put electrical tape over mine.

Yes, I do have an Instax 210 model (takes the 2x3 wide film) and it can be fun, but the Land Camera is much more satisfying. And I find the peel-apart film more fun as well. Plus, you can recover the negative of a peel-apart Fuji color print, and that is a big-ass negative! The colors can be quite different and interesting. (I can tell you all about how to recover the negative if you ever decide you want to try it.)

Here's an example of a print:

Day 130 - Zelda print
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

And the recovered negative:

Day 130 - Zelda negative resized
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Sorry, I get all excited about instant film - can you tell? ;)

Thanks, Leo. I will take a look around on Ebay for the models you mention later on today (have to get my daughter up for school now). Thanks for the info concerning Fuji films; I also found a good video on YouTube that shows how to load and then extract the exposed film from the Land Cameras.

Edit 2: Or did you mean the 250 from Zeiss Ikon? That's a Polaroid rangefinder (with highish prices :( ). Do you know if it takes a film that can still be bought?

Yes. I meant the 250 with the Zeiss rangefinder. If I knew they'd be selling this high, I'd have kept mine. It's probably one of my favorite cameras I've used. Lots of fun, just wish it had better exposure control (and a graflok back).

This is the model:

Excellent Polaroid Land 250 Camera Strap Zeiss Viewfinder AAA Batteries eBay

There seems to be a pretty big sifference though between what peopel are selling them for, and what people are buying them for. So check auctions rather than Buy it Now.

It takes series 600 pack film, such as your run-of-the-mill 690.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I got a 250 (thrift store find) but so far don't have batteries to fit - apparently there are some models of the 250 that took a different sized battery than what's listed everywhere as supposedly fitting. So I'd have to get it converted to AAA or AA (I forget offhand which is usually done) - Option 8 is one seller who converts Polaroids.

I have a 100 series and a Colorpack II (which takes AA) and some of those had a glass lens, others were plastic. I've gotten some surprisingly nice photos with it for being a plastic camera. (Just got a Reporter but haven't used it yet.) I found it took some practice to get the hang of pulling the first tab and not ripping it off. If you look on Film Photography Project An Internet Radio Show On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide they have a video on how to use the Land cameras which I found helpful.

I have B&W Fuji in the fridge and it's too bad they quit making it. I used some of the last of the Polaroid Giambarba edition blue and chocolate and sepia - the blue had shifted but the choc and sepia were wonderful, I'd love if they (someone!) would manufacture B&W and sepia.

I love my SX-70, it's a joy to use, and have an older 600 black rainbow series (and who knew those would come back into use!). But no, the film isn't cheap, I put some thought into what I'm going to do with it. Impossible Project does have sales periodically and just had a sale on seconds (which I haven't used yet to see what the quality is like). If anything I found some of my older film in the fridge seemed to be starting to dry up and not spread well, although occasionally you may get an interesting 'divot' that works with the picture (and sometimes not! lol). Their newer films are better quality and you don't have to shield it from light (although I'm in the habit of doing that now) but still take time for the image to develop.

Last edited:
I have a 320 and 420 Landcamera. There is not much to them other than being able to increase or decrease your exposure. Completely plastic BUT fun and cheap. Got one for a dollar and the other for free. Ive been fairly impressed with the plastic lens on them as well. Wish I was able to do some close up portrait work though. They wont focus that close

There are portrait attachments. Have you run across this site? http://www.rwhirledcom/landlist/landhome.htm Under Accessories it lists some Portrait and Close up kits for pack film Land cameras (as well as for SX-70s or older roll film Polaroids or just certain models of Land cameras.) The SX-70 is able to focus closer, and the 600s can - sort of, if you can call that focusing.

Last edited:
Fyi, the really older models that look like giant kodak poneys are the ones you want to avoid. People convert tem to 4x5, but the instant film isnt made anyore.

There are portrait attachments. Have you run across this site? http://www.rwhirledcom/landlist/landhome.htm Under Accessories it lists some Portrait and Close up kits for pack film Land cameras (as well as for SX-70s or older roll film Polaroids or just certain models of Land cameras.) The SX-70 is able to focus closer, and the 600s can - sort of, if you can call that focusing.

Here's an Impossible film photo with a divot. I'm going to use it up faster and not keep it so long in the fridge! but this one was along the branches and seems to somewhat fit the photo.

View attachment 105265

I thought the attachments were for the nicer LCs with glass lenses. Ill have to check this out

I've converted a number of 250s, 100s and other similar models to use AAA batteries. It's pretty simple if you can do electrical soldering. You just snip off the old battery snaps and solder in either a 3-AAA or 2-AAA battery holder (depending on the camera model). For the 3-AAA holders I use the round ones that are made for flashlights. They fit easily once the 0ld battery holder is removed.

I've also seen some ready-made adapters for sale on eBay.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the helpful input, everyone.

I have decided to buy a Polaroid Land Camera 2000, which, whilst not a rangefinder, has zone focusing and takes SX-70 type film. In fact, I will get two of the same camera (one each for colour and B&W), of which one is already bought, with negotiations on price underway for the other.

Once I'm up and running, I'll start an album with scans of my efforts.

Here's one I took whilst getting a hang of the camera and film (Polaroid 2000, Impossible SX-70 colour)

P1000456.jpg

Most reactions

Back