Poor-man's Macro Lenses

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Neuner, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Neuner

Neuner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi! New the forum and I hope you can answer my question about cheap macro lens configurations.

I've studied as much as I can about all of the ways to obtain a cheaper macro lens (extension tubes, lens coupling, reverse lens adapter), but I have a couple of questions that remain unanswered.

First, I'm just starting out in the dSLR world with a D80 & a Nikkor 24-120mm. I'd like to get 1:1 - 4:1 magnification. From what I've read the extension tube & stacking methods can provide with this.

First question: Which of the methods allow you to be the furthest from the subject or all of them about the same?

Second: My 120mm lens has a 72mm filter size. I'd like to couple it with a reversed 50mm f/1.8 which is 52mm. Can I use a 72 to 72mm macro adapter paired with a 52 to 72mm step up ring and not have vignetting (Main lens zoomed to 120mm)?

Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

Neuner

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Working distance is determined by the focal length of the lens.

3. Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum! First off while 1:1 is usually obtainable 4:1 is pretty difficult... I am not sure of the equation for tube stacking but a real cheap/easy/fun macro set up that my girlfriend used up till she got her lens is the 50/1.8 and a Kenko 20mm tube. That set up alone has got her countless incredible macro shots. I for one have never reversed a lens although I do hear it works great...

4. Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That statement holds fairly true until you put macro lenses into the mix... there are significant differences in focusing distance between my Canon 200/1.8L and my girlfriends Nikon 200/4 Micro...

Minimum Focusing Distance:
    Canon 200mm f/1.8L (non macro lens) = 98inches
    Nikon 200mm f/4 Micro = 19.4inches

5. Neuner

Neuner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! I appreciate the suggestion and think I will give it a try. Either way I think I will need to get a 50mm.

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    FMW is correct. You can't compare a macro lens with a non macro lens. A 180mm macro lens will allow you 1:1 at much further working distance than a 100mm macro at 1:1. Either of those will get you significantly further away from the subject than a 50mm macro.

7. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Another thing to consider is that you may not actually need true macro capability unless you're going to make large prints.

Often times, a good close shot at full resolution and full quality, and tightly cropped will serve your purposes. (such as posting pix online)