pop up flash question?

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,
What would you guys recommend to make my pop-up flash on my D40 more usable. A diffuser or one of those light bounce things? I realize an external flash would be best hands down, but that's just not an option right now. Suggestions?
thanks

Just get a piece of tape. Then tape the flash down so that it never, ever gets used. ;)

alright, I get it... pop flashes suck. But that's what I've got right now and I'm only looking for a 'make do' option. I seen you can get diffusers for the pop up from Adorama for around 20$ and the bouncer$ for around 40$, are these really not worth it for a beginner?

alright, I get it... pop flashes suck. But that's what I've got right now and I'm only looking for a 'make do' option. I seen you can get diffusers for the pop up from Adorama for around 20$ and the bouncer$ for around 40$, are these really not worth it for a beginner?

In my opinion, they're not worth it for anyone. While you're awaiting the money to get an external head, bracket and cord, my suggestion is that you practice ambient light photography.

i would take that money and put it in a flash fund.

play with index cards, business cards, tissue paper (colors too!)...any bit of bounce and diffuse will help.:thumbup:
get creative, and then when you can, pick up a sb600 or something.

Instead of busting your chops about how bad pop-up flash is, I'll offer a couple of suggestions. If you need it for fill-flash to cut down on shadow density, you do not need any diffusion of the flash,and the on-axis location of the fill light is perfect to give neutral fill light. Neutral or what is known as "on-axis fill light" is supposed to be close to the lens/subject axis, and right above the lens is pretty much on-axis! Score one for pop-up flash.

If you need the flash to better illuminate small items in close-up shots, simply take a sheet of typing paper and cut a long tab on one end, so that it will fit underneath the elevated flash head, and then bend the remaining long dimension of paper back around, and tape the two ends of the typing paper down at basically the same point. This will create a fairly large flash diffuser.

I have seen many photos done using this method,and it produces soft, diffused lighting on small scenes, from close ranges. Go ahead, use the pop-up flash. It was put there to annoy purists,and to be used by everybody else.

Instead of busting your chops about how bad pop-up flash is, I'll offer a couple of suggestions. If you need it for fill-flash to cut down on shadow density, you do not need any diffusion of the flash,and the on-axis location of the fill light is perfect to give neutral fill light. Neutral or what is known as "on-axis fill light" is supposed to be close to the lens/subject axis, and right above the lens is pretty much on-axis! Score one for pop-up flash.

If you need the flash to better illuminate small items in close-up shots, simply take a sheet of typing paper and cut a long tab on one end, so that it will fit underneath the elevated flash head, and then bend the remaining long dimension of paper back around, and tape the two ends of the typing paper down at basically the same point. This will create a fairly large flash diffuser.

I have seen many photos done using this method,and it produces soft, diffused lighting on small scenes, from close ranges. Go ahead, use the pop-up flash. It was put there to annoy purists,and to be used by everybody else.

thank you! I'm not familiar with the on-axis fill light though. I've been practicing photography some and am realizing the need for a more natural looking lighting... to keep the the subject from being over-illuminated and the background more evenly lit.

Most reactions

Back