Poppies

Carmel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC02722.jpg

In Beachwood Cemetery, Ottawa ON. This was taken a few hours after the parade... Taken in passing.

This is a very quiet, very simple composition --- with a huge effect. A natural, "given" selective colouring. The contrasts on the stone might be brought out some more in order to also bring out some more of the texture, but beware of the deep red of the poppies - that should not become any deeper.

Very nice! It really caught my eye. I love the pop of color in the corner.

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Love it buddy, the picture itself is very simple looking but with a deep powerful message obviously because of Remembrance Day. I like your framing but the overpowering of the red on the poppies drowns the wall out just a bit, anything you can do to modify that and bring it out to the front just a little more?

Just a thought, great job :)

Very nice. Very zen. It might almost look better cropped down to where the maple leaf carving is taken out. But then again this would not leave enough negative space, perhaps if the maple leaf were just painted out. You could then create a copy of the carving and make that a whole separate photo that would be displayed with this one, only a cpl centimeters away.
http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq235/zen_and_ink/?action=view&current=VIRTpoppies.jpg
It may not be your cup-o-tea, but I think it looks better. The two images still need each other, but each now occupies it's own space.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back