No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
pork-stew.jpg
lighting.jpg
Got held up cooking and taking photos for a few days but am now back.

Tried to take on board many of the pointers that I recently got here and this is my latest attempt.

The image is F22 but I have lots of others.

What seems a little odd to me, but then I'm a relative beginner, is that the pasta looks a little sharper than the pork. And my focus was on the meat close to the center.

Would love general comments but was trying to improve my lighting here.

New Google Chrome not working properly for uploading images. Firefox is fine. Didn't try Explorer.

Thanks, Michael

I think the lighting is much improved here; the specularity is better controlled, and there are no excessive shadows. A couple of general comments on your food photography: I think part of it is that your images are a bit sterile; almost text-book like. Try some compositions where we see a bit of the surroundings, something that adds to the image and makes it more enticing and meal-like; this is the sort of thing I mean. Also, your plating is still a bit sloppy; there's condensation on the plate, and some drips of sauce image left. These seem like niggle details, but they all add up.

I would have to agree lighting is getting better but I think the light source is still to small creating a lot of hot spots(highlights) on the food. The easiest way to make the source bigger is the put tracing paper or parchment paper between the soft box and the food see photo below. Also can you take shots like this below of your setup it will help us help you better.

20151207_214120.jpg

As for the DOF issue you are seeing, DOF does increase as you stop down the lens to F22 but this doesn't mean everything is going to be in focus. DOF is also effected by zoom length, distance from the lens check on the DOF calculator Online Depth of Field Calculator Next F22 is more in likely not the sweet spot of the lens not sure what you are using but most lenses sweet spots are F4-F11ish.

As Tirediron said it is sloppy, I wouldn't plate wet hot noodles or hot meat let cool to room temp and then plate it, this will help reduce the condensation. Next take your time plating clean the plate or drops, spills drips...etc. And last looks up videos about food stylist. KEEP SHOOTING.

I think the lighting is much improved here; the specularity is better controlled, and there are no excessive shadows. A couple of general comments on your food photography: I think part of it is that your images are a bit sterile; almost text-book like. Try some compositions where we see a bit of the surroundings, something that adds to the image and makes it more enticing and meal-like; this is the sort of thing I mean. Also, your plating is still a bit sloppy; there's condensation on the plate, and some drips of sauce image left. These seem like niggle details, but they all add up.

Thanks for this and for your previous help :)

I really see a lot of improvement in your photo's. I get hungrier and hungrier with each new shot!

I would have to agree lighting is getting better but I think the light source is still to small creating a lot of hot spots(highlights) on the food. The easiest way to make the source bigger is the put tracing paper or parchment paper between the soft box and the food see photo below. Also can you take shots like this below of your setup it will help us help you better.

View attachment 112507

As for the DOF issue you are seeing, DOF does increase as you stop down the lens to F22 but this doesn't mean everything is going to be in focus. DOF is also effected by zoom length, distance from the lens check on the DOF calculator Online Depth of Field Calculator Next F22 is more in likely not the sweet spot of the lens not sure what you are using but most lenses sweet spots are F4-F11ish.

As Tirediron said it is sloppy, I wouldn't plate wet hot noodles or hot meat let cool to room temp and then plate it, this will help reduce the condensation. Next take your time plating clean the plate or drops, spills drips...etc. And last looks up videos about food stylist. KEEP SHOOTING.

Lots of good tips, thanks !

Maybe this looks better.

Same photo but with LR 'punch'.

My 'problem'
pork stew-punch.jpg

View attachment 112507

is that I like water colors better than oil ..

Lens Nikkor 35mm 1:18G

Your focus seems to be on the front noodles which are closer to the lens than the rest of the plate. You need a greater depth of field and need to focus 1/3 of the way into the area you want in focus. The noodles look delicious.

That's very helpful thanks!

I'm pretty happy with my Nikon D3300 but you can't see DOF

Most reactions

New Topics

Back