Portfolio

Arleth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for building a photography portfolio for colleges and any tips for applying to an art college? Any advice or tips?

Check out the school's accreditation and make sure it will provide what you need.

I don't want to discourage you but business classes will do you far more good in the photography business then art college.

Are you looking at building a printed portfolio or a web portfolio?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for building a photography portfolio for colleges and any tips for applying to an art college? Any advice or tips?
I have no idea what they will be looking for, so I suggest that you call/email someone at the college who can answer that question.

If they say; "just a mix of random stuff", then that's what you give them. If that is the answer, then I would give them one of every type that you can think of or produce. Don't give them 20 of the same thing unless that is what they want.

One portrait, one still life, one candid, one art manipulation, one low light, one landscape, etc. Make sure they are all your best work. Good luck!

I went to Art School,

Normally when apply the college/uni will have a list of criteria you'll need to cover in your portfolio - I would phone them up to get the exacts, this also shows that you are pro active.
Over here in Scotland you needed art/english or you could go to college first to build a portfolio then apply for the art school.
The Art school will generally want to see that you have a keen interest in the subject, they'll want to see creativity and your thought process behind your projects (things like research & development). As I found out at Art School, it wasn't just the finished product they were just interested in, but the thought process behind it and the development of the idea.
They'll probably also want to know who are your favourite artist/designers/photographers (pick and appropriate one) and why, what is it about their work you like/dislike, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back