Portrait C&C

Pretty model. Nice reflections on her lips and natural lighting in her eyes. The back lighting brings her out. Her face seems a little light to me but that could be my monitor. Nice shot.

Her skin seems unnaturally white. Is that her natural color?

I think there are several things that might be changed.
everything that follows is my opinion only

Her face is way too bright, under-saturated and blue-tinged.
The exposure on her face seems very flat and texture-less.
Her eyes show whites all around the pupil giving her a startled look.
The tilt, the saturation, the eyes can be partly fixed but the flatness not so much.
Left is original.

u0wMEN.jpg

DSC_9046 by MandyRojasPhoto, on Flickr

Help me grow!

Looking at this shot, I think that she's too high in the frame. Her eyes are almost 7/8 of the way to the top of the frame, and the top of her head almost touches to very top of the frame, which causes unwanted visual tension in an otherwise quiet, direct eye contact portrait. As to the skin coloration: I can believe that as a redhead, she might have pale skin coloring, and she might be using a very pale foundation and very light contouring, which with that lip color makes her have that milky color that some people happen to like, especially on redheads.

I think the added warmth shot above [the edit] looks too far toward the yellow, with the greens heavily tinged with yellow, and the concrete also looking very yellowish. The original shot's color looks cool, as open shaded light often tends to look, and it has the cool skin tones that remind me of Ektachrome slide film, which tended to look "coolish", like your original shot does. I like the red hair color rendering in the original shot, but I think the skin tones could stand to be darkened a bit, and left cool if desired.

Judging by the whites of her eyes and her teeth and the greens, the original shot's coloration looks pretty good to me, except the skin looks a bit too pale, too bright. Maybe that's a matter of contrast though, more than actual measured brightness; the shadows inside her hair are very dense, so I think the skin looks unduly pale in some measure due to the degree of contrast this shot has. Again...this images looks a LOT like an Ektachrome 100 Professional slide shot, with light highlights, and very dense shadows, and rather subdued mid-tones.

One more thing; the hair falling over one eye really is a distraction. As the photographer, it is your responsibility to look at the details that will spoil a photo, especially when the subject cannot always see them. The model in this case sees the camera, so thinks nothing of her hair over one eye. You, on the other hand should ask the model to brush her hair back a little so we can see both eyes clearly.

Seems nice and sharp to me.. the WB does look to be too cool though. I also had a play with it.. gave it a little more pop I guess and adjusted the WB.. made a few small other changes. I do agree with what's been said though it feels tight up top and IMO the expression looks a little deer in headlights, I think you could do better there. I'd like to see some others from the set.

15041281068_8462916719_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back