Portrait cropping advice

paulf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted what I think is my favorite option but i'vs also included a link to more alternatives and a larger version.

I think you will enjoy the set of 40-years-after photos of my cousin & I. I think it's a great pair but am not sure how to frame or crop them:
http://www.edgehill.net/2003-1963-paul-doug
(I'm the baby <g>)
Pretty amazing that we both have the same smiles, I'm fat and bald again and he's got almost the same spiked haircut!

I normally photogrpah plants and landscapes and crop to a standard size so I'm not experienced with portraits or creative cropping like this.

The mature photo original has much more outside what I've shown but I think this is a good start since it gets them to about the same size. I did some quick edits in photoshop on some of the options and can fake things pretty well if that is needed.

2003-Paul-Doug-4.jpg

great set of photos, paul. my only suggestion would be to include your cousins hand in the more recent photograph of the two of you. keep in mind not to crop out limbs, hands, feet, etc.

sean

Hmm, so maybe I ought to use this larger view. Should I include more of the hand on the left edge? Someone thought that was distracting... I was trying to make the door in the background a similar size in both photos so I cropped half the hand off.

1963-2003-Paul-Doug-small.jpg

seanarmenta said:
great set of photos, paul. my only suggestion would be to include your cousins hand in the more recent photograph of the two of you. keep in mind not to crop out limbs, hands, feet, etc.

sean

Most reactions

New Topics

Back