Portrait lenses?

steve817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have read that the best portrait lenses are in the 85mm to 135mm range. Does this change when using a camera like the 10D since an 85mm would be about the same as shooting at 135mm on a regular SLR?
Does my question make any sense?

Realistically, it's the field of view & perspective. So, whatever focal length that gives you those two things for digital is what you need.

Historically on 35mm film 85-135 was considered optimum for portraits. Shooting a DSLR a fast 50mm prime is popular, though it might be a bit short for some people.

Some people are using the Sigma 50mm EX macro lens for portraits, which gives you double duty for a specialized lens, making the purchase not quite so painful. :)

steve817 said:
I have read that the best portrait lenses are in the 85mm to 135mm range. Does this change when using a camera like the 10D since an 85mm would be about the same as shooting at 135mm on a regular SLR?
Does my question make any sense?
Yup, you got it. Now that I'm shooting with my 10D, I use both the 50mm 1.4 (=80mm) and the 85mm f1.8 (=135mm). I love them both.

As photobug mentions, it depends upon the camera. They have different ratios to film. Some digitals with built-in lenses will have the 35mm equivalent marked on them rather than their true focal length. It would be best to check the specs.

If you are getting a lens for a camera with interchangeable lenses, I'd go for a prime, like the ones I mentioned, so that you can use the big apertures to reduce depth-of-field. Zooms with large apertures are mondo expensive.

I'd love to have a macro. Oh well. Mine's already purchased. I think I'd rather have the larger aperture anyway.

I looked around here a little bit, but all the posts i found confused me. I understand that this conversion factor of focal length has something to do wit hthe digi cam's fov crop/ magnification. If my camera has a (this is taken straight from Pentax's site)
Eye-level-type fixed pentaprism viewfinder with Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen. Field of view: 95%. Magnification: 0.95X ( with 50mm F1.4 lens at infinity, -1m-1 ). Diopter adjustment: -1.0m-1 to +2.0m-1.

what's the conversion, or how do i figure it out?

tr0gd0o0r said:
I looked around here a little bit, but all the posts i found confused me. I understand that this conversion factor of focal length has something to do wit hthe digi cam's fov crop/ magnification. If my camera has a (this is taken straight from Pentax's site)
Eye-level-type fixed pentaprism viewfinder with Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen. Field of view: 95%. Magnification: 0.95X ( with 50mm F1.4 lens at infinity, -1m-1 ). Diopter adjustment: -1.0m-1 to +2.0m-1.

what's the conversion, or how do i figure it out?
What model is it?

markc said:
tr0gd0o0r said:
its a Pentax istD
I can't find it anywhere. The info you listed was all specs on the viewfinder.

It looks like the image sensor is just slightly larger than the 10D, so the conversion will probably be similar (x1.6)
It's 1.5x crop. I found the info at dpreview.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back