Portrait of a bride

It's completely appropriate for people to say they don't like the negative space. It's also completely appropriate to point out that this is a taste shared by many members of this community, but not necessarily by other communities.

But fair enough. Opinions are a part of critique, and I should have chosen my words differently.

Amazing! Exclusive Portrait is completely looking impressive. I am really amazed to see this click. I am also one of dedicated wedding photographer but this one is really inspirational for me. Thanks for sharing.

I love the full photo. Not crazy about the cropped version.

I agree with other people about the negative space of the wall. Although the wall is awesome, but as a normal viewer, I would love to see more portion of people in the photo.

As a bride's portrait it completely misses the mark for me. A total waste of memory. As an work of art ... it is fantastic.

Gary

PS- If you you'd clone out the hanging light in the second image you have combined a bridal photo with an out of the box artistic expression and your final image would be exceptional for both genres ... brides and artistic expression.

Love the negative space in the non-cropped one.

1st. WOW!

Second, I strongly disagree with most of the critiques above. The first crop, with tons of negative space is AWESOME with one complaint. I'd put her in the bottom right corner! The full length on the wall is WOW and the whole enchilada is absolutely breathtaking!

Karsh. Pablo Casals.

Not saying this one works, but bleating along about negative space etc is just enforcement of TPF's norms, not actual criticism.
Nah. If there are TFP norms, I somehow didn't get the memo.

I think the reality of shooting weddings and bridal portraits is that in 99% of the cases, the bride (and MotB) have certain expectations and those mostly revolve around "focus on the bride and make her look spectacular." Now, if the bride was saying "let's come up with some creative concepts that make me look pissed or alienated or especially tiny" then that's a damn fine shot--a great example of manipulating/composing the elements to send a subtle message or influence how people perceive the subject. But if the bride was looking for pictures where she looks radiant and beautiful and "this is the best day of my life!" kind of stuff, then a very different crop and light makes sense. Yes, it looks a lot like Yusuf Karsh. And Karsh's style (with lots of dark surrounds and in B&W) doesn't lend itself to bridal portraits much.

As to the OP, I like the second concept much better. I think the bride is likely to be happier with it. It's more of an environmental portrait and it's got some interesting stuff around her. She may still want you to crop it so she's 80% of the photo but I think you've got a good eye and found an interesting setting. Thanks for sharing the results.

As for the first photo, if you really wanted to run with that mood (and if the bride really was eager for something a bit edgy or with a different vibe to it...ie: the negative space, dark brick wall), then you have her put on a tattoo sleeve (or a couple of fake tattoos). Or surround her with leather clad "gang members". And if you weren't going to reshoot, a crop where she's less centered (ala Derrel's suggestion) would fit well with the vibe of the photo. Also, if she's just looking for a more conventional approach (i.e.: she looks beautiful), with dark hair I'd want to use a kicker of some sort so her head doesn't blend in to the dark surroundings.

That's sort of the point. TPF norms are built around a very basic kind of commercial photography. Portraits with say nothing but make the sitter look 'good'.

This is a perfectly reasonable style but there is more to photography. Things that don't look like a couple of pretty narrow kinds. Of commercial work get panned.

I really like the original shot, and as a part of the larger set of photos I think it's great. It really fits in well with the overall "story" of the set of photos.

Great work!

I realize that the absence of black in the photo is a trendy fad that hasn't gone "drop crotch pants" yet, but I can't see it as anything other than a botched exposure. I understand it's deliberate but I never have managed to figure out the fashion fad that purposefully turns something into a standard mistake. I'm too old for fads I guess; I did wear a pair of bell bottom jeans once when I was young and willing to try nearly anything to get laid -- thank heaven no photographic evidence exists.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back