Portrait Practice- Total noob- first posts

transformed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yet another new chick- yep that's me. So I have been trying to practice taking portraits... learning how to use studio lighting etc. I have been kidnapping friends children hither and yon. I had the cutest fall setup going for this little cutie and she just refused to cooperate! I mostly ended up with shots outside as it was less annoying to her. :)

Anyway- I am open to all critique and I won't get my feelings hurt.

erin3bw.jpg

This was one of the few I got of her inside...

erin2bwcopy.jpg

erin5bw.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm, I think maybe she knew what she was doing; the first two pictures are really nice. A couple of thoughts:

1. Dappled light is difficult to work with at the best of times, and you've almost pulled it off here, but the strong shadow on her jaw, and deep shadow on the front of her dress detract from the image. I think ideally a fill light/flash set on the ground and fired up toward her face just strong enough to reduce the shadows, but not eliminate the dappled light, would have really made this a great image.

2. This one is well done as well; good composition, and an excellent expression. A little underexposed. Once again fill light from in front of her would have helped. I supsect that this one can be improved with some levels/curves work in post.

3. While the light on her hair is excellent, the overall image doesn't do much for me. You can see very little of her face, and she's too centred. Good use of the shadow as a leading line; I think perhaps a simple crop of the background and LH sides would drastically improve this.

Overall, I very much like the images; some minor technical details, but other than that, good work. Excellent mono conversions as well.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks John and Desha-

This is what is so great about this forum. I didn't even notice that crazy shadow on her jaw. Indeed- it's odd. I think I was focusing too much on the overall image rather than remembering to concentrate on the face.

And I know I definitely have some learning to do on the post processing. I swear I wish I could learn by osmosis!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back