So I'd like to get a "proper" camera..

Ridiculous comments like needing to have both hands free while walking through "Asian streets". FFS...all this talk about your girlfriend and her "limitations"...again...srsly. Time to get off the pot.
Er, really no need for comments like that to be honest!
It's really off-putting.
I found your original posts incredibly helpful and agreed with everything you said.
I'm new here, so maybe that's just how you talk to people.. But honestly, I'm doing my best to think about what exactly I need from a camera. Are you no longer able to understand that a first time user will have no first hand-experience of using a big camera and cannot say whether it's practical for me or not, and that it's very hard to specify what exactly I want? Other than me thinking very hard about the last few weeks I spent walking around streets and being physically unable to actually hold any camera in my hand, because I needed to check the map at every turn? I'm not saying these things to be a knob, it's literally what happened. If I wanted to be able to take pictures, I had to put the map away and expect to get very lost. But that wasn't always practical..

To everyone else: Thanks! I'm checking out the links now.

Last edited:
Try not to be offended....that is just how Derrel talks to people. You'll get used to it. He also really hates Sony (which is the only time I really disagree with him), but he's a great photographer and has a good eye for critique. He has very useful insights.

Ridiculous comments like needing to have both hands free while walking through "Asian streets". FFS...all this talk about your girlfriend and her "limitations"...again...srsly. Time to get off the pot.
Er, really no need for comments like that to be honest!
It's really off-putting.
I found your original posts incredibly helpful and agreed with everything you said.
I'm new here, so maybe that's just how you talk to people.. But honestly, I'm doing my best to think about what exactly I need from a camera. Are you no longer able to understand that a first time user will have no first hand-experience of using a big camera and cannot say whether it's practical for me or not, and that it's very hard to specify what exactly I want? Other than me thinking very hard about the last few weeks I spent walking around streets and being physically unable to actually hold any camera in my hand, because I needed to check the map at every turn? I'm not saying these things to be a knob, it's literally what happened. If I wanted to be able to take pictures, I had to put the map away and expect to get very lost. But that wasn't always practical..

To everyone else: Thanks! I'm checking out the links now.

No need for condescending comments about your inept, helpless GF. Your patronizing, anti-feminist attitudes come through loud and clear... Maybe that's just how you talk though. I understand fully that you are a first-time user. One who doesn't really seem to grasp how these machines work, how they are sold, and how easy it is to actually go to a store and buy a camera, rather than fuss on-line and suck up time from others. Good luck navigating those mean streets with that nasty camera bogging you down.

This might help you: How To Overcome The 'Analysis Paralysis' Of Decision-Making

I used to sell cameras. I know **exactly** the type of customer you are, and what your issues are in today's modern camera world. this article describes in just a few steps the actual actions you need to take in order to make a purchase, and to feel good about it.
1: Set a "drop dead" date
2: Get a sanity check
3: Curb your curiosity
4: Recognize that the moons will never align
5: Stair-step your decisions

I've seen literally hundreds of camera buyers, standing across the counter from ME, suffering from analysis paralysis, just as you are.

Last edited:
That pic of the prayers has some detail left in it. Yours is the middle.
combo1.jpg

Work with what you got. Aint no camera in the world going to meet all of your criteria.

For your personal safety please do not wander around unfamiliar cities concentrating on a map. Its the same as a billboard that says MUG ME!! get Google maps on your phone and download offline maps LINK , (I have used this method to navigate featureless deserts).

Which moons?
The earth only has one moon
unless you mean ppl dropping their drawers ... lol

No need for condescending comments about your inept, helpless GF. Your patronizing, anti-feminist attitudes come through loud and clear... Maybe that's just how you talk though. I understand fully that you are a first-time user. One who doesn't really seem to grasp how these machines work, how they are sold, and how easy it is to actually go to a store and buy a camera, rather than fuss on-line and suck up time from others. Good luck navigating those mean streets with that nasty camera bogging you down.

This might help you: How To Overcome The 'Analysis Paralysis' Of Decision-Making

I used to sell cameras. I know **exactly** the type of customer you are, and what your issues are in today's modern camera world. this article describes in just a few steps the actual actions you need to take in order to make a purchase, and to feel good about it.
1: Set a "drop dead" date
2: Get a sanity check
3: Curb your curiosity
5: Stair-step your decisions

I've seen literally hundreds of camera buyers, standing across the counter from ME, suffering from analysis paralysis, just as you are.
Hmm, re: the girlfriend - If you knew me you really wouldn't jump to those conclusions, so we should probably just drop this. :) I gave the information only because I assumed it would help give realistic advice about equipment and techniques, eg I'll be disappointed if I buy gear that turns out can Only perform with a tripod, or that doesn't balance well in one hand. Perhaps I didn't need to explain why, but *shrug*, does it really hurt?

Hmm, does two posts count as fussing and sucking up time from others? :eek: I didn't force anyone to read or reply, nor did I actually expect this much (and this fast) a response! I appreciate it, definitely! But I'm not sure why it's been turned against me. :s

I understand that cameras are sold by people who want your money, and that even reviews are often written by people who benefit from you buying stuff (one way or another)! I thought it'd be sensible to try and get a bit of feedback from someone who has made these purchases from their own pocket, and have used the equipment with their own hands.

The Forbes link is interesting but not really relevant tbh. Nobody is relying on my decision.. I could even buy nothing, and it wouldn't matter to anyone but me. If I wanted to spend a year pondering, who cares? I'd rather that than waste £1000 on buying the wrong thing because a guy in a shop says it's good, when he knows nothing about me or how I'll be [trying to] use it. :)
Anyway, "2. Sanity Check" is asking other people's opinion.. ><

Don't worry about it, OP. No one's under any obligation to help you or even read your thread. Those of us that choose to are doing it because we're happy we became photographers, and want others to find the same joy. And that starts with a camera that fits your needs.

I do think at some point you'll need to get your hands on these cameras physically to decide. That was what decided it for me. As soon as I held a Nikon D3200 I knew it wasn't a good fit, while the Sony NEX-6 (my first camera) fit like a glove. But others feel exactly the opposite. Even if you have to travel a little, is there a camera shop you can go to?

Others here have a lot to offer, I'm not down with all the latest stuff anymore.

But, I have to say, I have yet to see someone who is looking into a "proper" camera that the first thing I think is a "proper" camera isn't going to help you make better pictures ... that is, until now.

It is very clear to me that your abilities and eye have out-grown your equipment, and you definitely have some really nice images! Keep up the good work. No matter what DSLR you end up with, I'm sure you'll make great use out of it :)

That pic of the prayers has some detail left in it. Yours is the middle.

Work with what you got. Aint no camera in the world going to meet all of your criteria.

For your personal safety please do not wander around unfamiliar cities concentrating on a map. Its the same as a billboard that says MUG ME!! get Google maps on your phone and download offline maps LINK , (I have used this method to navigate featureless deserts).
Aye, I did a LOT of brightening in the PP'd version! :D
I always thought having your phone out would be a bigger billboard tbh. :O I think it depends where you are too. Myanmar and Nepal felt really, really safe. Brazil.. Maybe not! ^_^

Cherylynne: Yes! There's a used camera shop I can just about get to on my lunch break. I was gonna head down there today, but it was raining.. I'll hopefully try it tomorrow. And now I've got a slightly shorter shortlist, it should be more productive too!

Unpopular: Thank you! That really means a Lot to hear. Only a few friends and family actually see my pictures at the moment, so I don't have any idea of how my stuff is viewed by actual photographers. I ought to post for some critique around here. :)

Oh good! They'll almost certainly have some Nikons for you to look at. If it's used, they might not have the newest versions, but your main concern in looking at them will be the feel and the weight, and old versions are fairly similar. So if you want to try the D3300, the D3200 will be close enough to get an idea, etc.

They might not have as many Sony cameras....it kind of depends how big the store is. But the same idea applies. If you can get ahold of a NEX-6, it's almost exactly the same as the a6000. Even the NEX 5 or 7 would be close enough to get a feel for it.

Anyway, hold them, see if they fit in a pocket, hold them in one hand or see if they'll let you put it around your neck for awhile. Get a feel for the buttons and the menus. See if you prefer the electronic viewfinder or the optical viewfinder. Don't worry about trying to see if the shots you take there are sharp or have high resolution....you can't do real comparisons in a shop, and you can just look up comparison shots online.

Also see what kind of lenses the shop has and what the cost is. Having a used camera shop right around the corner from you is a huge asset that most people don't have. I wouldn't blame you if you bought into a system partly because they have a huge selection of that brand and you could trust them.

Hey, I found the camera shop's website!
Looks like they have all their stock listed online, eg: Clock Tower Cameras - Digital Inventory Page and lens listing for each brand in their own categories.

How do their prices look? o:
The only one from Derrel's suggestions that they have seems to be the "Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G Series - BOXED With Hood", which looks like an OK price @ £129. Btw, apparently there's a D series version of that lens which Mr Rockwell says is better and cheaper..?

You are right though, it seems to me like largely older stuff (not necessarily bad!), and also not much Sony (looks like the only ICL camera they have is an Alpha 300, but they have a few lenses for various mounts too). I don't mind getting an older camera if it fits what I want btw! Eg that D7000 for £359 might be alright.. Not sure!

Yeah, that Sony 300 is from their A mount line, I wouldn't recommend that....Pretty nifty that they have an RX-1 there, though. I've never seen one. It's not the right camera for you, it's just a really cool camera that I'd want to see. I have that Sony E 50mm 1.8. It cost about $300, so if my math is right, they're selling it for just under $200? That's a pretty good deal. And if that flash is HVL-f43m (NOT HVL-f43AM) then I'd snatch that up in a second. Since they don't specify, though, it's probably the AM version.

As for the Nikon cameras they have in the store....as I said, they'll be good for getting a feel for how heavy they are and how the buttons are laid out. But those are all at least two generations old, I think. There's someone in another thread that has the D5000 and is talking about "upgrading" to the D3300, because even though it's supposedly lower on the totem pole it has better specs and features because of how much newer it is. I think low light capabilities especially have improved with newer models. Even the D7000 I think would be beaten in some respects by the D3300.

Anyway, none of that matters if Nikon ends up being too bulky and heavy for you, and it's worth going there just to find that out.

Others here have a lot to offer, I'm not down with all the latest stuff anymore.

But, I have to say, I have yet to see someone who is looking into a "proper" camera that the first thing I think is a "proper" camera isn't going to help you make better pictures ... that is, until now.

It is very clear to me that your abilities and eye have out-grown your equipment, and you definitely have some really nice images! Keep up the good work. No matter what DSLR you end up with, I'm sure you'll make great use out of it :)

or even if the OP doesn't buy a Canon or Nikon DSLR those mirroless models seem to work pretty good
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

New Topics

Back