Portrait Practice

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Inspired by @JustJazzie 's recent postings, I took my family out yesterday afternoon to use them as test subjects at a local park. I had my Yongnuo speedlight set up in a reflecting umbrella and a 4-in-1 reflector. I'll probably post some more from the day as I edit them...

This was one of my favorites. I laid on my stomach to get a set up shot, and she ran down to lay on her belly in front of me. Of course, this means my flash and reflector set-up completely whiffed, and I'm feeling fortunate that the DR of the D600 allows for me to push a photo like this a full 2 stops.

Looking fwd. to seeing more pics as the day goes on. You make a good point about, "feeling fortunate that the DR of the D600 allows for me to push a photo like this a full 2 stops." Yes, yes indeed, the new sensor tech in these modern-era Nikons is AMAZING compared to old-style sensor limitations. It is now super-easy to make exposure corrections/tone shifts in software on images that were exposed less than optimally in the field or studio. There was a time when missed exposure meant a bad image at the end; not so these days with the later-gen Nikon d-slrs!

What a cutie!! I cant wait to see more. Thanks for sharing, and for thinking of me when you posted!

I know I was quite fortunate to save a series of toddler shots from my last set when my flash hadn't recycled in time. Gotta love the sensors in the FF Nikons!

Thanks, Derrel and Jazzie.

I have a processing queue of about 40 photos to get through, and my wife has requested that I start at the beginning rather than the end, haha. There are some photos from my son's birth 2 months ago that haven't gotten the attention they need.

While I've built up some decent coping mechanisms in LR and PS, I just need to get the exposure right in the camera to save myself lots of time. I know I need to change the options on my camera to show the histogram when I chimp...I just keep not doing it when I go to use it, haha. Using the flash exacerbates this problem, as the hot spots get hotter and the cold spots get colder. This was really my first time using flash outside, and balancing ambient was as struggle for me. More reading and more practicing is definitely in order.

While I've built up some decent coping mechanisms in LR and PS, I just need to get the exposure right in the camera to save myself lots of time. I know I need to change the options on my camera to show the histogram when I chimp...I just keep not doing it when I go to use it, haha. Using the flash exacerbates this problem, as the hot spots get hotter and the cold spots get colder. This was really my first time using flash outside, and balancing ambient was as struggle for me. More reading and more practicing is definitely in order.

Sounds like you need a mirrorless with EVF! I know it's helped me tremendously as I too would always forget to peek and then would have to recover in post.

Great shot!! I've found that with kids the best shots are always those spontaneous captures.

Sounds like you need a mirrorless with EVF! I know it's helped me tremendously as I too would always forget to peek and then would have to recover in post.

I could try with my wife's a6000. I just don't have the lenses or flash equipment for serious work with that, haha. Plus...my camera is so much more comfortable for my large hands.

I could try with my wife's a6000. I just don't have the lenses or flash equipment for serious work with that, haha. Plus...my camera is so much more comfortable for my large hands.

The EVF doesn't work with flash (at least on my Sony NEX7) unless you're using the on camera popup flash, so you would still be required to chimp and check your histogram if you were using speed lights.

You could always try using live view to setup exposure, assuming you were using a flash with ttl I imagine?......

chimped for years, and even though we have switched to all fuji, i still find myself doing it. force of habit i guess.
i do love the EVF though.

I went to the Strobist website for the first time in awhile...I'm also wondering if some of the issues I'm having balancing the ambient light outside is really more about balancing the light color. Down the rabbit hole I go...

you could always use the tried and true flash meter...

meter scene, set camera, meter flash to match. balancing color a whole other turkey -- great thing is color gel sets are so cheap now on amazon it's so affordable to buy an entire color range set and go crazy.

I wish I had toss some orange gels on my flashes INSIDE when I shot a wedding.

you could always use the tried and true flash meter...

meter scene, set camera, meter flash to match. balancing color a whole other turkey -- great thing is color gel sets are so cheap now on amazon it's so affordable to buy an entire color range set and go crazy.

I wish I had toss some orange gels on my flashes INSIDE when I shot a wedding.
I've been eyeing the magmod modifier set for a while now. Seems to be quite a favorite among wedding photographers. At least thats who I see doing most of the reviews.

... I just need to get the exposure right in the camera to save myself lots of time. I know I need to change the options on my camera to show the histogram when I chimp...I just keep not doing it when I go to use it, haha. Using the flash exacerbates this problem, as the hot spots get hotter and the cold spots get colder. This was really my first time using flash outside, and balancing ambient was as struggle for me. More reading and more practicing is definitely in order.
[NOTE: The following is NOT meant to be condescending!] Don't worry about the histogram, and don't worry about chimping. What you need to do is learn how to meter and read the light in the scene. Once you've got a histogram, it's too late because you've already captured the image; yes, maybe you can take another one, but maybe the moment has passed.

If you're not getting the exposure right in camera (and my definition is +/- >1/3 stop overall) you're not metering correctly. One of the most valuable lessons I learned in photography was in my grade 11 photography class back in 19 *cough* *cough* where for the better part of a week while teaching us exposure using the Lunasix F would take us through various scenes and teach us to 'see' the highlights, shadows, etc, and to be able to estimate, based on the dynamic range of the film where we needed to meter and what was likely to be over and under exposed.

My suggestion is spend a few afternoons out of doors, in varying weather (sun, cloud, etc) and find various scenes. Examine them in detail, make notes, take a picture ,and then examine that picture in turn and see how it compares with your Mk I eyeball exposure study... wash, rinse... repeat. Very soon you will find yourself looking at a scene and knowing instinctively what to do with your exposure.

I shot that entire wedding I just did with bare flashes. no modifiers at all. in fact, a even had my VK750iii mounted on the camera for most of the night :p

you can get the entire set of color correcting RougeGels with a few bands for like $25.

If you're not getting the exposure right in camera (and my definition is +/- >1/3 stop overall) you're not metering correctly.

I've been doing that pretty consistently inside with flash/strobe, but I'm struggling outside without benefit of shade. My biggest problem seems to be the constantly varying light in a full sun setting. I set for one thing and before I snap the shutter the light as changed. I've started trying to overcome it by using program mode and EV, but even that doesn't account for rapidly changing light. Any suggestions there????

Most reactions

Back