possible next lens

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im still deciding whether to get a flash or another lens(probably flash), and im thinking of something that can get me closer to the subject and focus close.. so these telephoto macro lenes fit that category, they have pretty much the same stats, im curious why one is more expensive, and what the feature does?
two versions:
TAMRON AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro (1:2) Lens For Nikon- $170
Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro (1:2)- $209

and does anyone know how good the macro feature is?

Last edited:
They both use the term "Macro" more as a marketing ploy than a description of the lenses closeup capabilities.

They are both about the same. It's really preference on what name you want. The macro term used on telephoto lenses really means close up. They will focus somewhere around 1 meter away. I didn't look them up yet. Im sure you can find out minimum focal leanth Is on the site you are looking at. Or store. It might get you as close as your looking for and If not there are always tubes, converters, ect. I have a temron and in happy with.
Oh yeh there are lot of differences between lenses in General from options to quality but the two you are looking at are about the same I believe.

Take a look at the macro pictures on this site to get a feel for what lens will work the best. IMO being able to focus within a foot of the subject beats the heck out of cropping a photo.

I use a 105mm Sigma and I can get close enough to fill my frame with subjects like dragonflies and hornets.

If you are looking for macro on the other hand don't get those lenses. Go with whatever macro less you can afore. If you look at my flickr page my macros are with a $500 Tamron 90mm prime. Wish they go unto well over$1000 but I feel its was the best $500 I have spent so far. It gets me pretty close.

Well I like macro but I also would like some zoom so this seems like killing two birds with one stone

I used to own the tamron and its great for the money but the macro isn't going to get you super close for like bugs heads and stuff. I would recommend that lens though, just get a set of kenko tubes with it.

Well I like macro but I also would like some zoom so this seems like killing two birds with one stone

Nope, you will kill the zoom bird but the macro bird will fly away laughing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back