Post a picture of yourself

Recently I've been getting in front of the camera more often. As a portrait photographer I believe it is essential to know how to be photographed as well, and getting in front of the camera more often will only help you capture better portraits of others as well.
11065632_10152802685619220_561775588_o_by_danostergren-d8mz99r.jpg
Definitely one of the best self-portraits I've seen in a LONG time!
It's not a self portrait. I was asked to model for another photographer. But thank you. He gave it to me as a print, and it looks 10 times better printed.

Last edited:
So, I was bored yesterday evening again.

Self Portrait
by Forkie, on Flickr
a very nice portrait Ian!

holding a reflector?

Cheers Marija!

Yeah, reflector to my left. I have a Tri-flector that has a handy little stand so I don't have to hold it: Triflector MKII Frame Stand Sunfire Silver Panels LL LR2933SP - Triflector MK II Kit Lastolite

I'd like to know what have you done in post with this one... pp here is very nice:icon_thumright:

So, I was bored yesterday evening again.

Self Portrait
by Forkie, on Flickr
a very nice portrait Ian!

holding a reflector?

Cheers Marija!

Yeah, reflector to my left. I have a Tri-flector that has a handy little stand so I don't have to hold it: Triflector MKII Frame Stand Sunfire Silver Panels LL LR2933SP - Triflector MK II Kit Lastolite

I'd like to know what have you done in post with this one... pp here is very nice:icon_thumright:

Thanks!

Ask, and ye shall receive :) :

All.jpg

1. Original image.

2. Blemish removal and correction of lower eyelid darkness.

3. Shading corrections where the light didn't quite fall as I wanted by filling a layer with white, changing the blending mode to "soft light" and masking it off, then paining it back in where I want it. Same again with black for the shadows. Also brightened the eyes at this stage. For this I merge all the below layers into a new one (shift+alt/option+cmd+E), open that layer in Camera Raw, put the clarity and shadows up to 100% and desaturate and push the exposure as high as I can without blowing the eyes out. Then, I change the blending mode of that layer to "luminosity", mask it off and paint back over the eyes with a brush at 3% opacity.

4. Colour correction. Using curves, took out some magentas and reds and added some yellows. Also Used selective saturation levels to control redness around the eyelids and corners of the nose etc.

5. Frequency separation to smooth out transitions from light to dark (hardly even noticeable in this comparison).

6. Merged the layers up again (shift+alt/option+cmd+E) and changed blend mode to soft light and reduced the opacity until it just gave me a small contrast boost because Frequency Separation can knock some contrast out.

7. Due to space constraints, I couldn't get as shallow a DoF as I wanted (I couldn't move my lights any further away), so used the Tilt Shift blur filter to just enhance the DoF a bit more.

8. I was looking a bit pasty, so warmed up the skin a little by adding some more yellows to the skin tones with a curves adjustment.

9. Sharpening using a High Pass filter. I only ever sharpen the eyes, never anything else, so not particularly noticeable at this size.

you look british

3. .... Also brightened the eyes at this stage. For this I merge all the below layers into a new one, open that layer in Camera Raw, put the clarity and shadows up to 100% and desaturate and push the exposure as high as I can without blowing the eyes out. Then, I change the blending mode of that layer to "luminosity", mask it off and paint back over the eyes with a brush at 3% opacity.
I've just learned something new :)
It would never cross my mind to do things this way, I mean, going back to acr but it perfectly makes sense.

Thanks for explaining all this, I'll certainly try it!

you look british

Thank God for that!

3. .... Also brightened the eyes at this stage. For this I merge all the below layers into a new one, open that layer in Camera Raw, put the clarity and shadows up to 100% and desaturate and push the exposure as high as I can without blowing the eyes out. Then, I change the blending mode of that layer to "luminosity", mask it off and paint back over the eyes with a brush at 3% opacity.
I've just learned something new :)
It would never cross my mind to do things this way, I mean, going back to acr but it perfectly makes sense.

Thanks for explaining all this, I'll certainly try it!

It's part of my workflow for every portrait I do. You have to be careful not to push it too far though, otherwise the eyes can end up looking like marbles. I always paint the ACR adjustment back in with the paintbrush at 3% opacity, then when I'm done, I reduce the opacity of that layer using the slider in the layers pane again - usually to around 30%.

You probably wouldn't even notice the change unless you flick the layer on and off - it's just enough to give the eyes a sparkle without making them look like solid balls.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back