PP effect ...

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen a lot of photos like this recently (the whole bright light deal - I've also seen it used in portraits), although this one has it super exaggerated. What sort of effect is this and how is it produced in PP?

Istanbul city | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's possible that it could be done in post, but more likely that it was simply from shooting directly in to a low setting sun. Either way I'm not a fan of it.

Put lots of particulate matter (dust) in the air over the city, and shoot with the sun just out of the frame and at about a 45° angle to the lens axis.

It's a case of "F8 and being there."

It's easy to do in PP with simple coloring using any photo filters, curves, hue/saturation, color balance or whatever you like, along with masking with a gradient, some opacity and maybe some blend if control. If you want to get really fancy, there are even lots of ways to simulate particulate matter like dust in the air.

If you know how to work an editing program like Photoshop to even a modest degree, it's two minutes or less of that kind of simple editing.

The real key to it all though is to start with an image that has the kind of light that will make this work in a way that looks natural enough to pull it off, and then to follow up by putting the faux glare on the light side, as the example does (look at the buildings for the cues to light and shadow position).

Most reactions

Back