Reaction score
Website
www.woolyhat.com
Some images of my recent trip to prague
praguetrainstation.jpg

The Train Station
f4.5 1/10
Clock-Back.jpg

This is the back of a clock in the tower in the Old Town Square. The diamond shapes are a reflection off the glass from the lift shaft behind and the blured bit at the top is part of the clock that spun when the hands moved round. (for 10 secs once a minute)
f6.7 1/15
Any comments welcome

hrrm, the first shot doesn't really say a whole lot to me, :scratch: there are some interesting geometric shapes and colours, but nothing jumps out. Maybe a tripod shot with a 1 to 3 second exposure to get some movement blur in the people walking could give added interest

The second shot is quite interesting... i like this, maybe with a little more colour satuation to bring out the browns in the wood. nice one.

I can't see your images :cry:

i think i know what you're trying to convey on the first one ... the composition needs a "wild card" ... like vonnagy said, it needs a subject

... while looking for the subject, my eyes wandered to the ceiling where i noticed the top right is not straight ... parallel to the floor ... neither is the rail at the bottom right ... did u use a wide angle lens? ... what i usually do when something is noticably not straight .. i use photoshop ... select all>edit>transform>distort .. and straighten them out

i think your depth of field is in the wrong place (or the right place composed in a different way) .. its at the ceiling and not one person is in focus .. it could probably at some interesting character if the bottom rail was cropped out with the dof where it is (trying to visualize it in my head)

... otherwise, i love the red and the texture of the ceiling and the composition ... imho, the depth of field could be played with and a little more experimentation on the technicals (shutter speeds, aperture, etc)

jeese, that was long.. :lol:

the second one is very interesting ... u have a good eye ... the technicals will come

Dew said:
... the composition needs a "wild card" ...

I'm a bit nervous taking photo's in public. :oops: it's something thats getting better as I'm improving, otherwise I might have stayed around to take more than one shot.

Dew said:
did u use a wide angle lens?

I used the standered 28-70mm lens that came with my camera, although it was probably focused at 28

Dew said:
.. i use photoshop ... select all>edit>transform>distort .. and straighten them out

This is something I've considered doing, but I'm only just starting out and at the moment I'd like to take a more conventional approach to my work in a sense to 'learn the basics to uderstand the medium properly'

I aslo beleive that the photograph should never lie.....

Dew said:
i think your depth of field is in the wrong place (or the right place composed in a different way) .. its at the ceiling and not one person is in focus ..

I'd appreiciate your opinion on where it should be. Do you just mean focussed on a subject/person?

Dew said:
i love the red and the texture of the ceiling and the composition ... imho, the depth of field could be played with and a little more experimentation on the technicals (shutter speeds, aperture, etc)

Thank you. If only I didn't get :oops: I could have spent some more time there. I also wasn't sure if it'd turn out, I didn't have a tripod so I thought I might lose alot to camera shake @ 1/10

Dew said:
... u have a good eye ... the technicals will come

Thank you.

vonnagy said:
maybe with a little more colour satuation to bring out the browns in the wood

That sounds ineresting how would I do that?

yup, i agree with Dew and Mark- you have a good eye and a good start, but you need to tweak certain things. can't see image #1- nothing but the red x.

image #2 has the beginnings of a really good study in dof- jlots of lines to draw the eye to the vanishing point. i second the suggestion for use of slower shutter speeds- showing some blurred motion of the people would add a nice flavor to this. also, if you stop way down to cause slow shutter speed, you will enhance dof. for this you will need a tripod.

you will get used to shooting in public- once you begin to learn rules of composition, etc, and you force yourself to concentrate and frame the shot perfectly with all technicals in order, you will be too busy thinking and creating even to be aware of other people around you- even when other people are the subject!

you've got good instincts, keep at it...

sometime lenses create an "optical illusion" and not tell the "truth" to what is really there ... especially a wide lens ... im sure the ceiling wasnt curved :lol: ... then again, it could have been :roll:

i cant really figure out what this photo needs, perhaps you could have focused on the man with the bag and hat on the far left and re-composed the camera in the center ... perhaps you could have placed your camera on the rail (moved in closer) ... but then much of the ceiling would have been excluded :? .. cant really tell without being there ... the photo has a lot going on, could be composed in over ten different ways

Most reactions

New Topics

Back