Praktica B200 - Broken Shutter?

Lolivia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please bear with me, I have absolutely minimal knowledge of 35mm cameras let alone their mechanics :boggled:

I have a Praktica B200 Electronic which my Grandad has given me. He says he was given it by a friend of a friend years ago to fix and he hasn't been able to fix it. It seems there's a problem with the shutter. Pulling back the advance lever will move the shutter so it covers the viewfinder and back again (not sure if it's supposed to do that) and then hitting the shutter release will do nothing. It clicks but the shutter doesn't fire.

My Grandad says he tried a new battery in it to no avail, and I don't think it's a problem with the battery since the red LEDs are working that show up on the right-hand side of the viewfinder when you hold the shutter release.

I haven't tried it with any film in since I'm pretty sure it won't work and I daren't waste a roll of film.

I've tried ringing numerous camera repair shops for advice but they've all said they wouldn't be able to fix it because getting a hold of B200 parts would be impossible. I've never owned a 35mm camera before though I understand Prakticas are not the best on the market, but it seems a shame to have it sitting around as a paperweight if it could be fixed and used again, right?

Any advice on what I could do with it or try next? I'd be happy to attach pictures & videos of the camera if that would be easier.

It could be, but it's almost certainly not worth it. Praktika was an FSB-made line of less than the best quality, and likely the only way to repair it would be to buy another one with a working shutter mechanism and swap it out (and if the replacement is working...). 70s and 80s era film bodies are very cheap now, and you can buy very good quality units for very little money. If you want to get into 35mm film, stroll through eBay and find something else.

Praktica B ? It is a product of dying communism in East Germany. Unfixable. Mechanically maybe even ok but electronics are for sure dead dead dead. VEB Pentacon never had steady supply of good quality components and electronics were the worst.
Do you want to shoot film ? Get some mid-range Nikon.

I would suggest taking the base plate off and having a good blow in there with an aerosol air duster. This is where debris can congregate over the decades.

If that doesn't work, I would then try VERY small amounts of oil on the moving parts exposed by removing the base plate.

If the 1980s electronics have died - common regardless of where the camera was made - you have no hope.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back