Pricing Dilemma PLEASE HELP

juju

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

i recently did a kids clothing product shoot for some people we know who have started a new online business. we spent 4 hours taking pictures of outfits, then another 4 hours on the pc getting all 305 images ship shape and ready for the web.

they loved all the pics and will probably use around 85% of them however, as im only an amateur at present and my business is not 100% up and running i havent put together a price plan for any product image work im going to do.

i would really appreciate if anyone does product work if they could give me a rough guide of what sort of prices to charge them and weither i should go by price per image or charge on an hourly basis ???

were doing a model shoot for them on sunday and i still need to price for that yet lol Ahhhhhhhhhh it only used to be a hobby :lol:

thanks for any responses everyone

Are you licensing the images to them and retaining the copyrights, or are you selling them the rights?

Price by the job, not by the hour. You will need to consider your time, what your hourly rate is (probably $60-$100 per hour), throw in a couple hours for a buffer, consider how the pictures will be used, your overhead, and any other expenses you had (gas, food, travel time to the shoot location, wear and tear on equipment, etc.). Since you spent 8 hours on the project, charge them a day rate of $500 to $1,000. The problem is that since you didn't give them a price up front they may balk, so be ready to haggle. Always give your prices up front, and have them sign a contract that contains the agreed upon price. I know that figuring out what to charge will be difficult since you just started, but in time experience will show you what to charge.

Have Fun,
Jeff

they will be purchasing the copyright aswell. im thinking of somewhere in the region of £600 which converts to something like $900 i think but not 100% sure.

i cant see them complaining about a price like that.

thanks for the advice guys

That comes out to less than £2 per image. If you're selling the copyright, you're perfectly justified charging a lot more than that.

Think about it. Sounds like you're selling yourself way short.

well we did the shoot and all come out good. totalled 404 images in the end so including the product stuff that comes to 624 images in total and 17 hours of labour time. still not a clue what to charge but were having a meet up in a few days to come to price i hope

Most reactions

Back