prime or zoom help

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i've been looking at getting a new lens/ lenses for the past week for so, and these have caught my eye.

the nikon 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, and the 17-55 f/2.8.

i'm considering picking up two of the primes(probably the 20 and the 50) or just going for the 17-55. would the image quality of the primes beat the quality of the 17-55? that's what i'm mainly concerned about, since f/2.8 is plenty fast for me, and i already have a 17-70 zoom even though the quality is probably lacking compared to any of these lenses.

also, i'm leaning more towards the primes since those would be compatible with nikon film cameras which i plan on getting one some day, and compatible with nikon's fx cameras if i ever plan on upgrading in a few years or whenver

I think it totally depends on what you will be using them for. With technology these days, image quality between zooms and primes don't differ much at all.

If you have the money to drop on some lenses, why not get one or two amazing ones instead of 3 or 4 of the same? The 50mm 1.8 (as opposed to the 1.4 you have listed) is an amazing lens for an amazing price, and a good prime to add to your collection. With your extra cash, why not invest in a good telephoto zoom, like a 70-200 2.8?

i have considered the 50mm 1.8 as well.

i also have thought about telephotos, since i'm starting to grow out of my wide angle phase you could say, and i don't have anything longer than 70mm which is annoying at times.

i've read that the 80-200mm f/2.8 is quite a good lens, and offers the same image quality as the 70-200 minus the VR, which isn't too big of a deal to me really. the price also pretty good

this is the lens i'm referring to just so be clear

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_80_200mm_f_2_8_ED_AF_D.html

That's a great lens! If you pick that up, along with the 50mm 1.8, plus your 17-70...that's a pretty nice collection.

Yeah Id go with the 80-200 since you do have a good wide angle. Reason being it will let you go in a diffrent direction. I use both wide and teles myself. And 200mm isnt much to steady but, still you might want to use atleast a monopod in lower light conditions.

Have you started to develop a favorite focal length? For example, the first time I tried a 50mm on a 35mm camera I knew I needed the equivalent for digital (which I still don't have, because (A) that wasn't that long ago and (B) good glass isn't free). This could be a good indication that a prime in this range would be good. Personally, I'd take the 35mm because I love that focal length (same as my 50 on my film camera). I also like 50mm on digital (same lens as on the film camera, but different crop factor), but it's not nearly as versatile for the shooting I'm doing.

I really would go for the primes. Once I started, zooms lost all their appeal (though that's probably because I rarely shoot longer than 70mm or so).

A "standard" prime less is a must-have for everyone. I have a 50mm f/1.8 for my D40. I pretty rarely find that it's too long, though I may spring for a shorter length yet.

well the reason i'm interested in the 80-200 is because as stated, it would put me in a different direction you could say since i've never really used anything longer than 70mm. what's appealing about the primes though is that i like all those focal lengths, and the three of them can be had for close to the same price as the 80-200. i wish i could rent or try out the 80-200 :/

The 80-200 is a stellar lens, but there is a lot to be said for the benefits of primes. When it comes down to the two, however, I'd say getting a high-quality long zoom is a higher priority than the primes.

The 80-200 is a stellar lens, but there is a lot to be said for the benefits of primes. When it comes down to the two, however, I'd say getting a high-quality long zoom is a higher priority than the primes.

yeah, i kind of agree with getting the zoom over the primes. just because i already have the focal lengths that all the primes cover on my current lens. what would be nice would being able to use them on a film camera, but i can still use the 80-200 on full frame as well.

plus, if i were to get the 80-200 it would force me to start taking pictures differently than i have been which would be enjoyable you could say

50mm 1.8 is only about $100. What do you have to spend?

Most reactions

Back