Printing pictures.

Brian L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianlinephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I would like to know if printing places like ritz camera for example take raw file image off of sd card and will print a blown up image for me. I know they can print jpeg and what not but I want the picture to be a true to its image format that i took right on the camera instead of proccesing down to jepg. Let me know what I should or what you guys do in the case of a full image. Thanks everyone.

Why would you want to print a RAW straight from the camera? Raw files need a bit of processing. If you don't understand the format then don't shoot it.

Well this one does not in my opinion. Also from what i got people looking at the picture the only thing i had to adjust was horizon tilt. Color everything else seems to be on. Also why not shoot raw? what I don't know. That's only way to learn. If you give me an answer like that please don't post on my post ever again. Thank you...

If you give me an answer like that please don't post on my post ever again. Thank you...

Wow, chill out bro... You should be happy that he took the time out of his day to give you some input. And he's right, if you don't know what RAW is, then don't use it. It's like saying I'm going to print a picture in sRGB, being that that format is used for the internet.

RAW is a format where the camera doesn't use any in-camera settings to affect the image. So if you have say (2, 1, 1, 4) In your settings or whatever, the image will be (0, 0, 0, 0). You say that it is perfect, but I bet it could be adjusted. RAW also has the ability to go back in time to the original of the image in case you messed it up.

Hope this gives you more information on RAW

I believe that my question was only intended knowing if a camera printing place would print images in raw format. Not getting asked a question why I would want to print in raw. I think I stated it well but if not I was stating in my post what other types of formats do people use for saving pictures without losing detail and the original question. Also then I get told that if I don't know what raw is don't shoot it. Well don't you think that I would not be shooting it if I did not know what it was. Listen were all suppose to get along here. Maybe I took his comment wrong but I don't believe that I did. I asked a simple question and got a rude remark. I hate people like that. I say don't answer the question unless you have the direct answer to help the person out. With that if anyone has any further input on helping me with my question or a recommendation on not printing in raw please let me know as too I'm learning. Thanks guys and gals and no harm taken I might have just took his comment wrong. :x

it is not likely that they can or would print from RAW files as they would need to be converted at the least to TIFF. The one hour photo type shopps basically only print from jpeg files.

why not just ask them what formats they can use to for printing.

Yeah I will give them a call today and see. Figured I would ask here to see what people use but some how it got little bent out of shape. Thanks

Well I much prefer RAW shooting to JPEG shooting and have not gone back to JPEG since moving to RAW - however I think in the early days one should stay with JPEG shooting until they understand basic editing processes (saturation, noise, white balance, sharpening, contrast, levels (auto and a smattering of basic manual levels editing) and some idea of curves as well) With those things understood one can take advantage of RAW mode - before that I think its an extra and confusing step for people to take.

Moving on as a RAW is like a digital negative a printing lab won't know what effect you want from a shot - they can print a JPEG or edited RAW no problems as the effect and look of the shot are set factors - from an unedited RAW they would have to make a lot of choices that would greatly affect the look of a photo - thus there would be a high chance that they would go for a look you do not want. Ergo I would be very surprised if they did direct RAW printing.

Edit - also if you think a photo straight from camera needs no editing (JPEG or RAW) I urge you to run an auto levels over the photo - 9 times out of 10 it works without need to modify the results and the difference is very noticable

Maybe you should shoot in RAW+Jpeg. This way, you can have the RAW to clean up after you've printed the Jpeg and realized, "Oh crap... it does need some tweaking".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back