Prints?

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I am starting my portfolio. I put some of my pictures on a SD card and took them to the drug store. They print pictures and figured it would be the same quality as a photography store (Dodd camera in my case). The photo store is 30-40 minutes away and didnt think it was worth it to travel there.

So I got a 8X10 of two pictures and they came out looking like a P&S took em. I used my D50 so it dosent have too low resolution. So was it there equipment? And would you think I could get better prints at a camera store? Or even online?

Any recommendations would help, thanks!

www.mpix.com Do you know how to color correct? If not Mpix will do that for you.

Be sure and click on their "Support" tab and find their image prep guidelines.

Discount service providers tend to provide discount quality service - as Robert Heinlein said many times, there's no such thing as a free lunch ;) For best results you have to find a provider that you can work with directly and who uses well trained staff. As good starting point, try looking for a provider who can give you the color profile for their printing equipment. That way you can use it when you are preparing your files for printing and ensure that what you see if what you are going to get...

- Randy

Without seeing the prints and knowing the details of the file you used, it's hard to diagnose the problem. You can sometimes get great prints from 'drug store labs' but you usually have to make the file just right, so that they don't have to do any thinking.

A good photo lab is usually a good idea though, especially with something as important as your portfolio.

It's like trying to compare apples to oranges without seeing the oranges. You really need to see a top notch printer do the same pictures and compare to the drug store's to know if it's the print or the picture itself. Take them to the other place, print the same shots out and you'll have your answer.

I would suggest a pro lab in your area. I have used Mpix and got horrible prints from them. The people that print your images is the key, at a drug store they don't really know what makes a great print. It is worth the extra money.

A lot of the problems depends on the calibration of the machines; I have a Rite Aid drug store in my area that has a Kodak system and another system. The Kodak system is maintained by Kodak technicians, and the kid who runs the machine told me that he cannot adjust the Kodak equipment or do *anything* with it--that it is all maintained by Kodak certified technicians; that system produces color prints and enlargements that are amazingly good,every time.

The in-house system that they maintain....not so much....sometimes inconsistent.

A lot of the problems depends on the calibration of the machines; I have a Rite Aid drug store in my area that has a Kodak system and another system. The Kodak system is maintained by Kodak technicians, and the kid who runs the machine told me that he cannot adjust the Kodak equipment or do *anything* with it--that it is all maintained by Kodak certified technicians; that system produces color prints and enlargements that are amazingly good,every time.

The in-house system that they maintain....not so much....sometimes inconsistent.

Just because a machine is maintained doesn't mean the person printing your image will make a good print. It just means that the print will be correctly processed. Big difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back