probable super hypo boa constrictor...

damian5000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hilltribez.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. Just got this guy about a week ago. He is awesome. If you know boas, you know he's top of the line hypo. Also, he's a probable super hypo. I hope you like him too... :)
IMG_1268.jpg

Well, he's rude to us....... so I shall do the :greenpbl: back to him, too.

:greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl:​

:greenpbl:, eh??? :lol:

nice shot though. I know no more about snakes than i do about Eleanor Rigby, but this is a beautiful snake for sure. :thumbup:

LaFoto said:

:greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :greenpbl:​
lol.... :)

I was hoping you all would be interested enough to ask that. :) Here's the long answer.

Hypo is short for hypomelanistic. It's a genetic trait which basically means lacking in black pigment (melanin). Some say it means an increase in red too. It can happen in a range of varying degrees.

A regular hypo has this trait in the co-dominant form. It'll pass this on to half of their young. A super happens when a baby receives the hypo gene from both parents. This is the dominant form. When it mates it will pass on the hypo trait to 100% of the young regardless of the mate.

You never know for sure (unless the baby came from a super x super breeding, in which case all the babies would be super, or unless the pairing was hypo or super hypo x normal, in which case it would be impossible to make a super) until you breed them and "prove them out". Though there are some defining characteristics of a super (for instance, most regular hypos have black rings around the red in the tail, while supers have very little to none) some people debate how accurate these characteristics are in being able to name for sure that the hypo is a super. But generally if the snake shows these characteristics you can name them probable supers.

Whew... I hope I've done a decent job of explaining that. Though I believe I have a fair understanding of this genetic trait, please keep in mind that i'm not an expert. (In other words, take it with a grain of salt).

:)

This guy is just awesome. So mellow and chill. He gave a little hiss the first morning he woke up here at my house, but hasn't done it since :)

If you're interested in reading more on boa "morphs" here's a good start.

http://www.classreptilia.com/boa_morphs.htm

Kingsnake.com has some great info too in the way of forums, as well as a classifieds section which is where I found this guy.
IMG_1295.jpg

good day all. :)

- Damian

LaFoto said:

:lmao:

Gosh, he looks so TINY in your hand! The cool thing about the original photo you shot of him was that there was nothing to scale him against, so I thought he was this behemoth boa thing 4 inches thick who could squeeze me to death. :lol: Now I'm not so afraid anymore.

PachelbelsCanon350D said:
Gosh, he looks so TINY in your hand! The cool thing about the original photo you shot of him was that there was nothing to scale him against, so I thought he was this behemoth boa thing 4 inches thick who could squeeze me to death. :lol: Now I'm not so afraid anymore.
I thought the exact same thing. So hypo basically means albino?-Joe
edit: looking at the pic again I see his eyes have black in them so maybe im a lit tle off in thinking hupo means albino.

Nice capture, with the tongue flicking out. Looks kinda uptight though...all knotted up. Gotta learn to chill out.

Great capture, you've completely spoiled my mental image with the second shot though - as was said, I had an image of a car crushing super hyper mega snake thing which could devour whole gazelles. Still, I suppose you're gonna feed him up to be like that one day!

I know very little about snakes, but they look cool. I'm not sure I could deal with feeding them frozen mice or whatever though - I'm a bit girly with things like that! Still, at least they don't smell (I guess).

Cool picture!

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back