Probably stupid web hosting question

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
As mentioned elsewhere, I am going to set up my website... My bf also wants one, so I thought I would get it for him for V Day tomorrow... So I was wondering if I can buy one hosting package and use the space to support two different domains. I tried to ask the question, and I still don't understand the answer I am getting.

"If you want 2 domains to point to the same directory in 1 hosting account,
then the answer is "yes" and all our hosting plans support this feature.

On the other hand, if you want 2 domains to point to different directories
in 1 hosting account, then you must purchase either our TrueBusiness or
TrueUltimate plan because only these 2 hosting plans support this feature.
You also need to purchase an additional domain pointer ($24 per year) for
your second domain."

Can I do this or not?

It sounds like the plan you were looking at allows two domains to point to one website.

This is making me wish the new host for this site was available a little sooner, because I most likely be offering to host some other web sites for a nice low fee beginning in the next couple of weeks.

Basically, a domain name (like thephotoforum.com) just points to a folder on a server some place. You can point multiple domains to the same folder (so I could have thephotoforum.com and chasesphotoforum.com both set to bring you to this site for example), or you could have different domain names pointing to different directories (where each would be a different web site). Most sites are set up this way on shared servers where there could be hundreds of web sites hosted on one physical computer, each in their own folder. Then, your web host just points the address you register to your folder.

Hopefully this helps a little...

Thanks for your help guys! I decided for now to just register his domain name and redirect it to his comcast page, until I research and figure out this other stuff... so now I'm just waiting for the registration and redirection to work... how long does that usually take? I was really hoping that tomorrow I could show him his working www.panel3productions.com site.

It usually takes at least 24 hours for the new domain to propagate through most of the major DNS servers. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but there's a good chance it'll be up tomorrow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back