Problem with Nikon 70-210.

fototkr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I'm looking for some help, perhaps someone has the answer. About a year and a half ago I bought a 70-210 f/4-5.6. Great lens and I love it. Though I'm a bit confused and having an issue. I dropped the thing not too long after buying it, and everything works. This built-in hood lens is bent, so a lens cap won't stay on it. My questions are:

1) Where can I buy a replacement hood? This thing definitely isn't a screw on. I can't get it off whatsoever.
2) Was this a common piece on this lens when it was new or just some odd/rare option? When I go looking for photos of the lens online, I find none with this "built-in" hood and can't find the piece anywhere.

I appreciate any help I can get. I love the lens but this metal hood that's all bent up has to go. I'd hate to spend a ton of money just to fix it. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMAG0986.jpg
    IMAG0986.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG0987.jpg
    IMAG0987.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 222
  • IMAG0988.jpg
    IMAG0988.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 218
When I go looking for photos of the lens online, I find none with this "built-in" hood and can't find the piece anywhere.
That's because that lens does not have a built-in lens hood. It has a 62mm screw-in hood that probably got jammed when you dropped the lens. The markings on the hood say that it has a 62mm thread.
The correct hood for that lens is Nikon's HN-24 62mm screw-in lens hood, I don't know if you can still get one from Nikon but there are plenty of copies on ebay.
If you can't unscrew the existing lens hood I suggest you take the lens to a camera technician and see what he can do with it.

I agree with @Alexr25

The hood is probably jammed. You should be able to remove the hood, just be careful not to break the lens element. It has all metal threads, so you shouldn't break it. I'd think the same methods used for removing stuck filters might work. You might even be able to find a filter wrench that will fit over the hood, if not there are jar grippers you could try and you can find those are your local supermarket.

Hope this helps!
Cheers.

Chuck it and buy a new one, there are everywhere for $80 or so for a decent copy.

Hey guys, I appreciate it. I'll take a look at it tonight and see what I can do. I love the lens though, just want to fix it up. Worse comes to worse I'll pick another one up for cheap.

Sucks when things like this happen. Like Nerwin says, you could get a pair of grips on the hood to help remove it. You could also drill through the hood in a straight line and insert a metal bar and use that to increase the turning ability. I had a similar problem with one of my old Pentacon lenses. The damn thing had seized and I needed to open it to repair the aperture mechanism. I just could not turn it. In the end I resorted to a plumbers trick and held the section I needed to remove over the flame of the gas hob. Heated the section up causing it to expand and I could finally twist it off from the other part of the lens. Obviously I had to wear an oven mitt lol.

It sounds extreme but no elements were in danger and if you know the Pentacon 135mm, you know what a tank that thing is.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back