Products needed for photography

KasparP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get deeply into photography after the New Year, so I'm looking for some necessary accessories/products needed to help me make the best photos I can.

Stuff like editing software(photoshop I assume?)

What about accessories for the camera?

Calibration Software for my monitor?

Other stuff I dont even know about?

Thanks guys!

This is too open a question to give you an answer for - we need some specifics to narrow things down.

1) Budget - just how much do you have to spend on all this gear - this is a key consideration as there ar many different setups some aimed at higher budgets than others

2) What are you taking photos of? Right after budget comes this - what are you taking photos of? Different subjects and different environments call for very different setups of gear

3) What experience do you have - I am guessing little at present. Its not a bad thing but it will affect what you should go for at the start a little. Often its best to stagger new hobbies as you get into them otherwise you are going to swamp yourself with new stuff that you won't be able to use well.

4) What gear do you have at present?

This is too open a question to give you an answer for - we need some specifics to narrow things down.

1) Budget - just how much do you have to spend on all this gear - this is a key consideration as there ar many different setups some aimed at higher budgets than others

2) What are you taking photos of? Right after budget comes this - what are you taking photos of? Different subjects and different environments call for very different setups of gear

3) What experience do you have - I am guessing little at present. Its not a bad thing but it will affect what you should go for at the start a little. Often its best to stagger new hobbies as you get into them otherwise you are going to swamp yourself with new stuff that you won't be able to use well.

4) What gear do you have at present?
Sorry about that.

My question is kinda a mix. I'm just interested in know what stuff is nessacassray. I was thinking like a filter, lens cleaning solutions,ect.

I guess what Im trying to say is what should I purchase first to make my photos better. Lets say, under 100 dollars?

Software not included in that 100.

Thanks!

What do you like to shoot?
What camera/lenses do you have?
What accessories do you have already?
etc. etc.

What do you like to shoot?
What camera/lenses do you have?
What accessories do you have already?
etc. etc.

I'm into nature, some family photos, just a general all around type of stuff. I shoot with a D60 and a 35mm 1.8. Honestly, I just started out and all I have is a carrying case.

Thanks for trying to help me out

I do not think you can buy stuff to make your photos better.

Instead, find out why your photos is not as good as your think and make improvement in that area.

Of course improvement may mean buying addition equipments, but it could be somethings else.

For example:
Let say your macro shots of insects were always a disaster. The bugs were not big enough to show details, and it often show some motion blur. You want to improve your insect macro shots, then you may need a better equipment or more equipment to help. At the same time, you may need to learn some macro shot taking techniques.

So in order to make your photos better, you need to understand why they are not as good.

The best thing to get is knowledge..books, courses,...

Adobe Lightroom for most photo needs
Adobe Photoshop for heavier fixing
Adobe PS Elements - same as photoshop, less features, more user friendly

Camera
Quality lenses
Extra battery for the camera
Battery / Vertical grip for the camera

Tripod (Manfrotto is a trusted brand)
Tripod head
Monopod (practicle for sports shooter with longer lens)

Tripod bag
Camera bag (if you are like most photographers, more than just 1)

Hotshoe flash (ex 430EX, SB-600,...) ... might be multiple if doing portraits and for portable studio
Radio transmitters if you want off camera flash
Portable light stands
Softboxes / umbrellas
Gary Fong or StoFen style diffuser for top of hotshoe flash
Extra batteries for flashes, rechargable 2400 mah or more
Good recharger for batteries

Lens hoods
UV filters for all lenses (some photogs use none, others always use them)
Circular Polarizer (CPL) filter for lenses (a must for landscape work)
Various colour filters, gradient filters and so on for landscape work. See Cokin and their filter system as an example

Lots of memory cards. I prefer 2x 8GB over 1x 16GB
External portable memory to backup cards when in the field. I use a netbook for this
External memory to backup the photos when at home

Good camera strap (not essential, but could be nice) such as BlackRapid or Optech
Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blower

The best thing to get is knowledge..books, courses,...

Adobe Lightroom for most photo needs
Adobe Photoshop for heavier fixing
Adobe PS Elements - same as photoshop, less features, more user friendly

Camera
Quality lenses
Extra battery for the camera
Battery / Vertical grip for the camera

Tripod (Manfrotto is a trusted brand)
Tripod head
Monopod (practicle for sports shooter with longer lens)

Tripod bag
Camera bag (if you are like most photographers, more than just 1)

Hotshoe flash (ex 430EX, SB-600,...) ... might be multiple if doing portraits and for portable studio
Radio transmitters if you want off camera flash
Portable light stands
Softboxes / umbrellas
Gary Fong or StoFen style diffuser for top of hotshoe flash
Extra batteries for flashes, rechargable 2400 mah or more
Good recharger for batteries

Lens hoods
UV filters for all lenses (some photogs use none, others always use them)
Circular Polarizer (CPL) filter for lenses (a must for landscape work)
Various colour filters, gradient filters and so on for landscape work. See Cokin and their filter system as an example

Lots of memory cards. I prefer 2x 8GB over 1x 16GB
External portable memory to backup cards when in the field. I use a netbook for this
External memory to backup the photos when at home

Good camera strap (not essential, but could be nice) such as BlackRapid or Optech
Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blower
Perfect post! Thank you so much!

I don't think I'll need more than 1 bag just yet. I only have two lenses haha. Thanks alot though!

So essentially, what should I buy first for like under 50 dollars? Maybe some filters?

So essentially, what should I buy first for like under 50 dollars? Maybe some filters?
I'm from the "UV filters for lens protection are a huge waste of money", school. That's what lens caps and hoods provide the protective function with minimal added problems.

You'd be hard pressed to find a good CPL filter for $50.00 let alone a selection of ND and GND filters. Look at B+W brand filters. Hoya makes some good one but they also make some junk so be careful. Don't cheap out on your gear, because it will cost you in decreased image quality and crap resale value after spending the money to upgrade later.

Like Bigtwinky suggested photographic knowledge is the first goal, equipment is secondary. To paraphrase an old saying; it's not the camera and equipment that counts, it's the skill and vision of the photographer that counts.

Books for a basic photographic library, if you don't already have them:

Understanding Exposure,
Learning To See Creatively,
and Beyond Portraiture by Bryan Peterson.

Light: Science and Magic. An Introduction To Photographic Lighting by Hunter, Biver, and Faqua.

For learning the elements of photographic composition see:
The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman

Then when you get image editing software you need a book or 2 on how to use it. Scott Kelby is the #1 Adobe Photoshop/Elements author though I also like Phillip Andrews, Tim Grey, and Martin Evening.

Last edited:
I'm from the "UV filters for lens protection are a huge waste of money", school. That's what lens caps and hoods provide the protective function with minimal added problems.

You'd be hard pressed to find a good CPL filter for $50.00 let alone a selection of ND and GND filters. Look at B+W brand filters. Hoya makes some good one but they also make some junk so be careful. Don't cheap out on your gear, because it will cost you in decreased image quality and crap resale value after spending the money to upgrade later.

Like Bigtwinky suggested photographic knowledge is the first goal, equipment is secondary. To paraphrase an old saying; it's not the camera and equipment that counts, it's the skill and vision of the photographer that counts.

Books for a basic photographic library, if you don't already have them:

Understanding Exposure,
Learning To See Creatively,
and Beyond Portraiture by Bryan Peterson.

Light: Science and Magic. An Introduction To Photographic Lighting by Hunter, Biver, and Faqua.

For learning the elements of photographic composition see:
The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman

Then when you get image editing software you need a book or 2 on how to use it. Scott Kelby is the #1 Adobe Photoshop/Elements author though I also like Phillip Andrews, Tim Grey, and Martin Evening.
Thanks, I have the whole Adobe Suite already and have been using photoshop for over 8 years. I know my way around it like the back of my hand.

Any other suggestions? I'm in highschool so I dont need books since Im taking classes, I just need equipment. Just general equipment..

If your taking lessons talk to your teachers and get some advice from them and consider saving that amount you have so that you can afford some really good gear.

I'm thinking of things like 300mm or longer prime lenses or maybe superzooms like the 100-400mm; dedicated macro lenses; zooms and the like

A lot of the cheaper items you appear to be (lusting?) after like filters might be cheap, but they are cheap because they are not really that good and in the long term its gear that you will quickly grow out of (if you take things further).
bigtwinky has already listed many of the items people use - but you have ot refine your wants more than just "general equipment"

If your taking lessons talk to your teachers and get some advice from them and consider saving that amount you have so that you can afford some really good gear.

I'm thinking of things like 300mm or longer prime lenses or maybe superzooms like the 100-400mm; dedicated macro lenses; zooms and the like

A lot of the cheaper items you appear to be (lusting?) after like filters might be cheap, but they are cheap because they are not really that good and in the long term its gear that you will quickly grow out of (if you take things further).
bigtwinky has already listed many of the items people use - but you have ot refine your wants more than just "general equipment"

I just dished got the 35mm so I wont be buying a new lens for a while. I have no steady income(I'm 16)

I was thinking maybe buying a remote and batterys?

Do you have a tripod? Whilst a remote is good there is a timer on the camera and a remote will do you little good without a firm shooting base to shoot from.
Batteries for the camera are good - I tend to stick to ownbrand options whilst some members here use 3rdparty makes and they can better tell you what make are worth going for. I would say a single backup battery is all you would really need and with two batteries you should get a good days shooting without any trouble

Do you have a tripod? Whilst a remote is good there is a timer on the camera and a remote will do you little good without a firm shooting base to shoot from.
Batteries for the camera are good - I tend to stick to ownbrand options whilst some members here use 3rdparty makes and they can better tell you what make are worth going for. I would say a single backup battery is all you would really need and with two batteries you should get a good days shooting without any trouble

I do have a tripod, its upstairs and I dont really use it to much because I had no use for it. Ill tell you the brand a bit later.

I was going to use the BULB option, so I need a remote I think. Obviouslly a tripod for exposures also.

Bulb idealy will require a tripod and a remote yes - otherwise you will run a very good chance of getting shakes from your hand in the shot.

The cable remotes are the cheapest option and about the best to go for unless you really need to be further away from the camera. For further off options you have laser and radio remotes, of which radio are about the best (if you get a good make) since they let you shoot from any angle within its range; whilst the laser options will only work from a single side (generally most are infront of the camera) which really limits what you can do with them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back