Project31

I wish I could afford a car like that, or the gas to drive that car the way it was designed to be driven.

Day 25

I don't do a lot of flower photography and honestly it's harder than it looks. Trying to find a pleasing composition with a single on camera flash was tough. Time to invest in some more kit and start working with OCF.

Square cropped from original (obviously), I felt it worked here.

Day 25 by Boaketography, on Flickr

Bo4key said:
Day 25

I don't do a lot of flower photography and honestly it's harder than it looks. Trying to find a pleasing composition with a single on camera flash was tough. Time to invest in some more kit and start working with OCF.

Square cropped from original (obviously), I felt it worked here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boaketography/8419316634/
Day 25 by Boaketography, on Flickr

Nice light placement and attention to the shadows. You did very well in that regard. Have you tried muting that green in the back? It really pops to me, but could easily be desaturated.

Keep it up dude!

Day 26

Another attempt at the flowers. I kinda feel bad because I bought this bouquet for my wife the other day and am now exploiting the gesture :)

day 26 by Boaketography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice light placement and attention to the shadows. You did very well in that regard. Have you tried muting that green in the back? It really pops to me, but could easily be desaturated.

Keep it up dude!

Thanks Tyler, I'll give that a try. I was a little unsure about the brightness of that shot but I also liked the muted tones.

Have you tried diffusing your flash? I used to tape a small sliver of paper over it. It definitely helps soften the light.

Have you tried diffusing your flash? I used to tape a small sliver of paper over it. It definitely helps soften the light.

I actually used a business card taped to the flash as a diffuser and then also bounced it off the ceiling. I think it diffused nicely and was quite even in the bouquet shot. I also have a puffer diffuser that clips on the flash but chose not to use it here.

Day 27

Sunday Snapshot

Sundays are mostly a family day so I didn't put much pressure on this shot. This is backlit by a big open window and I used on camera flash, bounced off the ceiling with a white card on the flash directed towards her as a diffuser.

day 27 Sunday Snapshot by Boaketography, on Flickr

Day 28

Day 28 - Lonely Stop by Boaketography, on Flickr

I've been wanting to shoot this bus stop for a while because I like the way the light isolates the bench.

I've been by it a few times and the weather hasn't cooperated or the light was out. Today, everything worked out.

I realized I posted these later last night so not many people would have seen them.

Day 31

Well, I made it to the end. I was hoping for a little more feedback over the 31 days but I'm glad I stuck with it and learned a few things.

Cheers

Day 31 by Boaketography, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back