Sun star lighthouse onion bokeh

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The lighthouse itself is a bit soft in the first two but the sun star is sharp and I liked the effect of the bokeh. I know some of you hate my shooting into the sun photos but I like them. In this case the sun is the beacon for the lighthouse. Nauset Light on Cape Cod. Please feel free to offer comment and critique on any of these. Thanks for looking.

The Instagram crop
The beacon by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Full sized
Coastal Winter by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Coastal Winter by SharonCat..., on Flickr

I like your full sized version better than the crop that IG apparently imposed. In your full version the sun star is sharper, there's a better sense of scale, and your clever placement of the sun acting as beacon is more effectively realized. Just my opinion.

I don't mind anyone shooting into the sun because the scattering of light can give you unexpected, sometimes ethereal results. I think it's fun and can elevate a shot. If you like it, keep it up! :)

This is a fun set.

A very nice set.....
Thanks Jeff…..

I like your full sized version better than the crop that IG apparently imposed. In your full version the sun star is sharper, there's a better sense of scale, and your clever placement of the sun acting as beacon is more effectively realized. Just my opinion.

I don't mind anyone shooting into the sun because the scattering of light can give you unexpected, sometimes ethereal results. I think it's fun and can elevate a shot. If you like it, keep it up! :)

This is a fun set.
Thanks Terri! I could have posted the full view on Instagram as it’s a standard 4x5 but I’ve found that a closer view is better for that app as 99% of people are viewing on their phones - so I usually crop in.

Not sure if you’re on Insta but if you are you will notice that a 4x5 portrait orientation photo takes up the max available “real estate” in the Instagram feed. Based on my own unscientific research, those posts draw more interactions and interest than the farther away landscape views. I won’t force a horizontal subject into a vertical shot but if I can take one of each orientation, the vertical gets posted to Instagram.

I have an account there, because that was the only way to watch the videos of an oil pastel artist that I know. But I've resisted posting. ;)

Nice shots. I like #2 the best.

Nice shots. I like #2 the best.
Thank you!

Nice set! Agreed, #2 is very nice. Is the bokeh from sea spray on the lens?
Thanks. Glad you have a favorite. The bokeh is from a “defect” in the lens that I like to exploit by shooting directly into bright sun for a sun star and light bokeh when I have an otherwise boring shot. In this case a very boring sky with no good clouds and a harsh overhead sun. Can’t always be there for good light!

Nice set! Looking at your photo info on Flickr I guess f22 is for sunflares? I've tried this a few times, but didn't look as good as yours. I remember your tulip sun flare photo.

Nice set! Looking at your photo info on Flickr I guess f22 is for sunflares? I've tried this a few times, but didn't look as good as yours. I remember your tulip sun flare photo.
Thank you! Yes anywhere from f16-f22 is what works for me. I find it hard sometimes to get the sunflare sharp so I will handhold and shift until I see it then do a burst and pick the sharpest of the bunch.

Most reactions

Back