Proper lens cleaning technique

Jen said:
I know that it has been said that there is no such thing as a dumb question, but I am pretty sure I have heard lots of them in my life. With that said, I am going to ask one. Compressed air - this is the same can of air I use to clean my computer keyboard? I am always so afraid of messing up when I clean my camera or lens that most of the time I just don't bother. My photographs are starting to look like Markc's though...
The trouble with compressed air is that it isn't just compressed air. They are normally pressurised CO2 or another gas. When they're compressed, a good proportion of them will be liquid, some of that propellant and some just gunk. Some of that liquid can come off and evaporate on the target surface, leaving a nasty, sometimes abrasive stain. This is especially true of things like CCD sensors, as you can't just wash them in distilled water afterwards!

Air blowers like little puffers are better as they only blow air and don't risk getting nasty liquids on the surface. However, I find that most dirt is too stubborn for them.

There isn't much in this world (that you're likely to get on a camera lens) that can't be removed with distilled water and a t-shirt!

Rob

Also, it's really important to keep your camera bag clean. Cameras should be in one of two places - in your hand/tripod, or covered in your bag/storage. I recommend turning your bag inside out and wiping with a damp cloth then leaving it on the radiator overnight. If you're fastidious like me, just stick it in the dry cleaners for £2.50!

Rob

There are actually some differences in canned air. The ones you get at the computer store have a different chemical propellent then the ones you find at the photo stores. I like my small can since it can often blow stuff off that is being stubborn with a blower.

duelinthedeep said:
lol...i thought everyone cleaned their camera bag?!?.....i also thought
cameras went into the camera bag when not in use?!?

hmm.....maybe i'm just picky.

Mine's brand new so it hasn't needed cleaning yet, but considering I always clean out my purse and backpack I'm sure the habit will transcend into camera bags for me too. :) It's also VERY easy to just slip the camera back into the bag when not in use, so why not do it....it is simple 2-second insurance against something awful happening. I can just see one of those slow-motion nightmares where the dog or the toddler comes in and sees a dangling camera strap hanging off the edge of your desk and gets curious and.....oh my. That's reason enough to keep the camera put away. :lol:

lol i had this compressed air thing for my computer (cleaning the keyboard) im so glad that i didnt use it on my lens... its like a freaking water pistol.... i think there must be some condensing or something going on inside it........ basically, it sucks!

Proper photo compressed air is OK - just make sure you hold the can upright and don't shake it when you use it.
It is also a good idea to give the first spray away from the camera to clear anything out of the nozzle.

compressed air... at a good distance and at a steep angle to blow away all that bad dust. for the body sensor, use those little puffers.

PachelbelsCanon350D said:
Mine's brand new so it hasn't needed cleaning yet, but considering I always clean out my purse and backpack I'm sure the habit will transcend into camera bags for me too. :) It's also VERY easy to just slip the camera back into the bag when not in use, so why not do it....it is simple 2-second insurance against something awful happening. I can just see one of those slow-motion nightmares where the dog or the toddler comes in and sees a dangling camera strap hanging off the edge of your desk and gets curious and.....oh my. That's reason enough to keep the camera put away. :lol:

oh lord!....my sisters' kids are always home and they always find a way to get to or around my camera:madass:

i would much rather have dogs
snooping around than those four devils.

btw:gnarly website you got there:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back