property release and model release form questions

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by GerryDavid, Oct 5, 2003.

1. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was wondering if anyone could advise me on when I need to get a property release form signed and a model release signed.

For an example, say I was on the coast of NY and taking a picture of the waterline, would I need a property release form for each of the buildings that can be recognized?

Another example, say Im video taping a high school graduation, and wanting to sell copies of this tape to those that want to purchse it, would I need a model release form for every single graduate and participants? If this was on a public street, I wouldnt I believe since people give thier consent in a public place automatically, at leaset thats the way I understand the law to be, and since this is a private property, by the school board, would written permission from the person in charge of the land be enough or would I need written permision from each person on the tape or in the pictures?

And another question, if the building im photographing is government, is it considered public or do I still need a property release form signed by the person in charge, whom ever that may be, hehe. For example, museums, libraries, town hall, etc.

And a 2nd thought, say I get farmer A's permission to photograph the property, then they move and farmer B moves in, is it still legal fo rme to publish those property pictures?

And according to the release forms Ive seen, you need a witness to sign as well, is there a guideline as in who you shoudlnt sign it? For example I go to this farmers house and get them to sign it, the wife and husband, one as the owner and one as a witness, is this a nono since they both could say neither signed it and I forged it, or should I get someone I know to sign it as well, or a random person around? My thinking is I will prob be alone whem im out shooting pictures.

Thanks for your time.

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    no. the buildings are viewable by the public.

for personal gain (sale), you would if the video law follows the print law.

all public property. no release needed.

this is a 'gray zone'; i'm not sure. frankly, the us copyright site is unclear, too.

as a rule, a witness that is party to you or at least neutral is desirable. it's still binding if both farm occupants sign it. they'd have a hell of a time fighting it in court.

3. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

8)

4. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

8)