property release and model release form questions

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on when I need to get a property release form signed and a model release signed.

For an example, say I was on the coast of NY and taking a picture of the waterline, would I need a property release form for each of the buildings that can be recognized?

Another example, say Im video taping a high school graduation, and wanting to sell copies of this tape to those that want to purchse it, would I need a model release form for every single graduate and participants? If this was on a public street, I wouldnt I believe since people give thier consent in a public place automatically, at leaset thats the way I understand the law to be, and since this is a private property, by the school board, would written permission from the person in charge of the land be enough or would I need written permision from each person on the tape or in the pictures?

And another question, if the building im photographing is government, is it considered public or do I still need a property release form signed by the person in charge, whom ever that may be, hehe. For example, museums, libraries, town hall, etc.

And a 2nd thought, say I get farmer A's permission to photograph the property, then they move and farmer B moves in, is it still legal fo rme to publish those property pictures?

And according to the release forms Ive seen, you need a witness to sign as well, is there a guideline as in who you shoudlnt sign it? For example I go to this farmers house and get them to sign it, the wife and husband, one as the owner and one as a witness, is this a nono since they both could say neither signed it and I forged it, or should I get someone I know to sign it as well, or a random person around? My thinking is I will prob be alone whem im out shooting pictures.

Thanks for your time.

GerryDavid said:
For an example, say I was on the coast of NY and taking a picture of the waterline, would I need a property release form for each of the buildings that can be recognized?

no. the buildings are viewable by the public.

GerryDavid said:
Another example, say Im video taping a high school graduation, and wanting to sell copies of this tape to those that want to purchse it, would I need a model release form for every single graduate and participants? If this was on a public street, I wouldnt I believe since people give thier consent in a public place automatically, at leaset thats the way I understand the law to be, and since this is a private property, by the school board, would written permission from the person in charge of the land be enough or would I need written permision from each person on the tape or in the pictures?

for personal gain (sale), you would if the video law follows the print law.

GerryDavid said:
And another question, if the building im photographing is government, is it considered public or do I still need a property release form signed by the person in charge, whom ever that may be, hehe. For example, museums, libraries, town hall, etc.

all public property. no release needed.

GerryDavid said:
And a 2nd thought, say I get farmer A's permission to photograph the property, then they move and farmer B moves in, is it still legal fo rme to publish those property pictures?

this is a 'gray zone'; i'm not sure. frankly, the us copyright site is unclear, too.

GerryDavid said:
And according to the release forms Ive seen, you need a witness to sign as well, is there a guideline as in who you shoudlnt sign it? For example I go to this farmers house and get them to sign it, the wife and husband, one as the owner and one as a witness, is this a nono since they both could say neither signed it and I forged it, or should I get someone I know to sign it as well, or a random person around? My thinking is I will prob be alone whem im out shooting pictures.

Thanks for your time.

as a rule, a witness that is party to you or at least neutral is desirable. it's still binding if both farm occupants sign it. they'd have a hell of a time fighting it in court.

Most reactions

Back