~Pros and cons of using an FD lens on a DSLR~

Ssuperdreww

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently in the process of updating my arsenal and have ironically never had a wide angle lens. Now, I'll be getting the 17-85 USM IS in the next few months or so (if not for graduation), but I had the idea to get an "older" manual focus super-wide angle lens just to play around with in the meantime. I'm looking at an FD 24mm f/2.8 to shoot with my Rebel XT. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a similar setup, and if you would reccomend the idea.

Thanks for the help!

//Drew

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
the FD mount won't fit the EF mount on your camera.

thats a con if ive ever heard one

Welcome to the forum.

JD is right, FD lenses won't fit onto EOS cameras...the mount it a different size. There are adaptors avaliable but they are not ideal. A simple adaptor has no lens elements and therefore the lens would not be able to focus at infinity. There are adaptors with lens elements but the problem with those is the quality, it's not good.

There are a few Canon adaptors still around...they were very limited and never sold to the public. They are rather expensive, if you can find one.

On another point...a 24mm lens, on that camera, is not really a wide angle lens. The sensor is smaller than 35mm film, so the image circle from the lens, is effectively cropped. Even the 17-85mm, at 17mm, isn't as wide as a 24mm lens would be on a 35mm film camera.

If you want a truly wide angle of view for your camera...look at something like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm (or somthing similar from Sigma, Tamron or Tokina).

Haha! Crap, that's the quickest way I can think of losing one's credibility... :blushing: Oh well, that's why I'm still learning!

Thanks for the help, I'll try to think through my situations a bit more before bringing them here :D

I'll look into the 10-22mm, it sound like just what I'm looking for...

Thanks again!!!

//Drew

Great lens but expensive. There's also a Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 that both get great reviews.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back