Protect photos on website

bward942

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to create a website via iweb. My concern in protecting my photos from being stolen. I am aware of watermarks, slicing, services, etc and the one that intrigues me the most is placing a blank file over the real image. Supposedly this method will make the real image unreachable; when the image is right-clicked, it will be the blank.gif that can be reached.

Is anybody aware of this? Can someone explain how to do this? Can it be done from within Photoshop or another software product?

If you have any other suggestions, I am certainly interested in all options, but am tentatively staying away from watermarks or other things that would detract from the photo.

Thanks.

If you have access to the HTML code, you can disable the right-click so it brings up a message instead of the normal menu options.

This website tells you how to access the HTML code when using iWeb: How can I edit the html code in iWEB? - Web Hosting Talk

This website has sample javascript code to block right-clicking: no right click, disable copy and paste, secure web site

But people can always use the "print screen" key to copy it. Anything that can be seen on the screen can be copied this way, although only at the resolution seen on the screen.

Anything that can be seen on the screen can be copied this way
That is what it really boils down to.

There are probably billions of photos on the internet, you are probably more likely to get struck by lightning that having your photos 'stolen'.

There are probably billions of photos on the internet, you are probably more likely to get struck by lightning that having your photos 'stolen'.

Great, just great...now we have to watch out for lightning too??? ;)

If someone is intent on getting your image that you have posted on the web you can't stop them. You can make it difficult with things like disabling right click and putting a transparent image on the page.

If they can view the image in their browser its already on their computer they just have to go find it.

Most reactions

Back