Protecting Photos on Flickr

Wandering_Pugilist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm pretty new to the whole flickr account and I was wondering how to legally protect your photos on the server. I noticed there are certain settings in terms of "rights" but I really have no idea what they all mean. Basically, how do you prevent it so nobody uses your pictures? (Not saying mine are "use worthy", just want to be sure)

Thanks!

Like that post says.. If you can see them on your screen, they can be saved.
My suggestion is to watermark all your photos that you post online if you are worried about them being copied. At least you will have advertising if they do get copied.

Check out http://creativecommons.org/ as well. But realistically, whenever anyone puts their work out there, whether it be over the internet, magazines, etc people will always come up with ways to "steal" your work. It comes with the trade. The hard part is trying to catch them.

Usually a good solution is to make a huge ugly logo, place it strategically so that it covers key portions of your work, and set the opacity at 20%. Oh, and don't forget to make it say "Your Name (or initials) Photography" with your MySpace URL underneath.

All sarcasm aside, protecting your photos without ruining them is a very fine line to walk. If your number one priority is preventing them from being reproduced without your consent, your safest bet is to simply keep them off the internet.

An alternative perspective is that the internet contains many resources (like this forum) where you can get valuable feedback, learn, and improve your photography. For some, the (relatively small) risk of your photography appearing on a calendar in a dollar store is worth it because of the learning potential. What you do with your work is up to you.

there are to kinds of watermarks... visible and not visible. I put both on my pictures, just to be safe.
Try Batch Watermark Creator, its much easier;
http://www.easy-tools.net

2704751019_355ff071e7.jpg

Most reactions

Back