Proton Arc or a "Steve"

AdventuresInMyTrustyBoots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A mysterious form of Aurora that seems to be rather uncommon without a lot known about it.

We were lucky enough to witness a couple of them the other night. The stretched mainly from east to west across the entire sky. I was in a hurry to get home as I had to work early, and it was after 1 am. Wish I could have stayed later and taken more photos.

Proton Arc by Jen Philippe, on Flickr

I really like the first one. That blush of light and color across the snow on the top of the mountain almost makes it look like a photo of an alien dawn. Very cool.

I've had a strong interest in astrophotography for a couple years now but I live on the east
coast of the US so the light pollution is just out of control. I typically have to travel when I want to scratch that itch. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Apparently the information I read (I had read several) about "proton arcs' is incorrect. Proton arcs can not be visually seen. What this is, is something called "Steve", which is a stream of hot, fast moving gas. It is not Aurora, although both times I have observed this have been on nights when aurora was present. The other night we observed 3, roughly in the same area of the sky, east to west.

Here's a link for those interested. When Swarm met Steve

Last edited:
I really like the first one. That blush of light and color across the snow on the top of the mountain almost makes it look like a photo of an alien dawn. Very cool.

I've had a strong interest in astrophotography for a couple years now but I live on the east
coast of the US so the light pollution is just out of control. I typically have to travel when I want to scratch that itch. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Bluewanders. :) I like it as well. The green on the mountains is light reflected off the Aurora. I also like the green clouds in the other photo.

I'm lucky enough to live in what some would call a sparsely populated area. This is about 20-25 mins out of town. If you look back towards town you can see a bit of pollution, but it's not bad. I can't imagine living in a large city.

Just read an article on this yesterday. Very cool and great shots.

Totally wonderful. Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately for me, I live in an area with a ton of atmospheric haze and light pollution rendering the heavens a stranger to me.

Adventures, thanks for this documentation of Steve. I have been photographing Aurora for years and have never seen this before. I will watch for it in the future.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back