[Q] why separate cameras for pictures and movies ?

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Does anybody here know why there are only special cameras for pictures and movies available, but never cameras who attempt to be good at both things at the same time ?

Couldnt one combine them ? A movie camera that could use lenses would be kickass, for example. Or a picture camera that would have 3ccd and thus the extreme light efficiency and picture quality (no effects like moire) of higher quality movie cameras.

I don't see why I can't have a sports car that can carry what an 18-wheeler does.

I'd love to have a single golf club that serves as a putter, wood, wedge, iron, chipper and driver.

Does anybody here know why there are only special cameras for pictures and movies available, but never cameras who attempt to be good at both things at the same time ?

Couldnt one combine them ? A movie camera that could use lenses would be kickass, for example. Or a picture camera that would have 3ccd and thus the extreme light efficiency and picture quality (no effects like moire) of higher quality movie cameras.

5D III? Several movies and tv productions were done with 5D II.

DSLRs are getting pretty darned good at video these days. And there was just an article about pulling 14MP stills from a Red camera, so the capabilities are starting to merge. But in my experience, most tools that try to be great at multiple things end up not being truly superb at any of those things.

[...] But in my experience, most tools that try to be great at multiple things end up not being truly superb at any of those things.
Excell at what exactly ? Most cameras already try to be very universal instruments, dont they ?

And as I mentioned in my original posting, there are features of photo cameras I would love to have on a movie camera, and features of movie cameras I would love to have on a photo camera. So there would actually be synergical effects that could make the whole thing better than having them in two separate tools.

Also, as the Canon EOS 5D Mark II has been mentioned - photo cameras right now actually have really artificial barriers. My Nikon D5100 simply stops after 20 min of movie filming. My old G11 stops after 60 min. This has btw nothing to do with the 2GB limit, I can lower the movie resolution as much as I want, the result wont change, its enforced by the camera software. Just removing these completely artificial limits - well, and changing to something more modern than FAT as filesystem for memory cards, so more than 2GB can be handled - would make these cameras much more useful for these tasks.

I LoL'd a bit @ this thread
biggrin.gif

[...] But in my experience, most tools that try to be great at multiple things end up not being truly superb at any of those things.
Excell at what exactly ? Most cameras already try to be very universal instruments, dont they ?

And as I mentioned in my original posting, there are features of photo cameras I would love to have on a movie camera, and features of movie cameras I would love to have on a photo camera. So there would actually be synergical effects that could make the whole thing better than having them in two separate tools.

Also, as the Canon EOS 5D Mark II has been mentioned - photo cameras right now actually have really artificial barriers. My Nikon D5100 simply stops after 20 min of movie filming. My old G11 stops after 60 min. This has btw nothing to do with the 2GB limit, I can lower the movie resolution as much as I want, the result wont change, its enforced by the camera software. Just removing these completely artificial limits - well, and changing to something more modern than FAT as filesystem for memory cards, so more than 2GB can be handled - would make these cameras much more useful for these tasks.

The limit is there because camera manufacturers don't want to pay duty tax. I guess if it can take videos for longer than certain time, it is called a video camera and not a camera. It is something ridiculous like that. It has nothing to do with the technology.

Sony has been making video cameras that you crop frame lenses for years.

Sony NEX-VG10 Interchangeable Lens Handycam Camcorder NEX-VG10

File processing for video and photography is not done the same way hints your limits on video length. But 20 minutes is good for a lot of things. If you are constantly doing things longer then that you probably need a dedicated video camera. Also think of the El camino.

5D III? Several movies and tv productions were done with 5D II.
But, several thousand dollars worth of additional hardware had to be added to the 5D MKII to shoot video of that quality, and that doesn't count lighting and sound gear.

Technology takes time, look at cell phones. started out making simple phonecalls and was the size of a brick, now they are the size of a credit card and u can call, while surfing the web, while setting up your tv recording schedule while playing games with friends, listening to your music while taking photos and videos. from the looks of things in the future youlle be able to just record a session and then go in and pull the frames out that are perfect for still frame photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back