Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found this while browsing the feeds this morning:
Slashdot Technology Story | Quantum Film Might Replace CMOS Sensors

Original article here (much more detail):
EETimes.com - Quantum film threatens to replace CMOS image chips

I though it was pretty interesting.

Just by virtue of having our detector on the top surface, we get a 2X increase in sensitivity—the holy grail of the industry," said Lee. "Beyond that we have changed the materials too—our quantum film is twice as efficient at absorbing incident light for another 2X improvement, for a 4X improvement overall.

In the words of some famous guy: "I'll believe it when I see it."

It sounds like it's real, but before I see a picture made with it, I won't be doing any stock trading.

It's funny how buzz words and talking points catch on. Everyone on the internet is using the word "threaten" in describing this. It sounds like great stuff. I don't get the threat. Seems like a wonderful succession of technology to me, if it pans out. Threat? I hope it's a promise!

Well, maybe.

The whole thing is predicated on a quasiparticle, the exciton.

These guys are playing in condensed matter physics. Think Bose-Einstein condensates.

It would seem as long as they can limit the energy dissipation of the exciton due to interaction with the phonon bath and/or the energy carried away by radiation they won't have any problems with the excitons propagating through molecular crystal.

Well, maybe.

The whole thing is predicated on a quasiparticle, the exciton.

These guys are playing in condensed matter physics. Think Bose-Einstein condensates.

It would seem as long as they can limit the energy dissipation of the exciton due to interaction with the phonon bath and/or the energy carried away by radiation they won't have any problems with the excitons propagating through molecular crystal.

:lol:

But what do you really think?

It looks too much like "e-film" for me to get my hopes up. Anyone else remember e-film?

E Film

But what do you really think?

He thinks the retro encabulator may be more useful for photography:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBp5ag6SJH4]YouTube - Allen-Bradley Retro Entabulator[/ame]

But seriously buzzwords are only buzzwords to people who don't deal with them. I'd hate to know what mark my thesis would have gotten if I didn't write "Improvement of a Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser, Self-Mixing based parallel metering system.

I kid you not that was the title. My family said it wreaked of buzzwords. My advisor said it explains everything in one line. :lol:

Most reactions

Back