Question about embedding text into photos

photo_guy74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

This is my very first post on thephotoforum.com. This seems like it will be a cool site to bounce off ideas on others as it relates to photography, so here is my first post. I am in the process of starting my photography business and I am wondering what is the best way to embed some sort of logo or maybe perhaps the name of the company I am using on my pictures to send to customers for initial viewing? I'd like for them (customer) to see the pictures, but in order to protect myself to be able to put something on the picture....kinda like what Getty Images does.. Any ideas on what's best? Also, how do you do it?

Thanks, and I look forward to posting many more posts! :)

Photo_guy74

Welcome to the forum.

What you are referring to is often called 'watermarking'.
Try a search for Watermark, there have been a few discussions about this.

Basically, an easy way to do this with photoshop, would be to create a custom brush, out of the text or logo you want. Then all you have to do, is just paint it on with a click. You could also create an action and apply the watermark to any number of images in a batch.

Welcome to the forum.

What you are referring to is often called 'watermarking'.
Try a search for Watermark, there have been a few discussions about this.

Basically, an easy way to do this with photoshop, would be to create a custom brush, out of the text or logo you want. Then all you have to do, is just paint it on with a click. You could also create an action and apply the watermark to any number of images in a batch.

Thanks for the info dude. One quick question..by doing this, does this prevent the image from being tampered with? Meaning, would it still be possible for a customer to go and take off my watermark?

When you put it on the image, you could take it off by back stepping or having it on it's own layer. However, when you send the image, you will save it as a JPEG...which 'flattens' the layers and fixes everything into place. So no, they won't be able to just take the text out.

Of course, if the really wanted to...I'm sure they could take the image...and meticulously edit out the text...but if they did that, they are bound and determined to rip you off...and there isn't anything you can really do. Just like putting locks on your car or home...they really only stop the honest people out. :roll:

You will have to decide how prominent you want your watermark to be. Most people have it on the image, very lightly, so that it doesn't distract from the beauty of the image. Other will put "PROOF" in big dark letters, right across the faces in the photo.

Also, when you send the client files for viewing...only send low resolution images. Only good enough for viewing on a TV or computer. Certainly no bigger than 600 or 800 pixels wide/tall. If you are sending 4x6 prints, well then, you will have the watermark on the photo.

When you put it on the image, you could take it off by back stepping or having it on it's own layer. However, when you send the image, you will save it as a JPEG...which 'flattens' the layers and fixes everything into place. So no, they won't be able to just take the text out.

Of course, if the really wanted to...I'm sure they could take the image...and meticulously edit out the text...but if they did that, they are bound and determined to rip you off...and there isn't anything you can really do. Just like putting locks on your car or home...they really only stop the honest people out. :roll:

You will have to decide how prominent you want your watermark to be. Most people have it on the image, very lightly, so that it doesn't distract from the beauty of the image. Other will put "PROOF" in big dark letters, right across the faces in the photo.

Also, when you send the client files for viewing...only send low resolution images. Only good enough for viewing on a TV or computer. Certainly no bigger than 600 or 800 pixels wide/tall. If you are sending 4x6 prints, well then, you will have the watermark on the photo.

Thanks dude!

Once again, I appreciate the help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back