Question about flash mount for umbrella kit

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to buy a stand, mount and umbrella for my Speedlites and it seems to me the kits are missing a critical component, the shoe mount on the bracket. Example:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Photoflex-Shoe-Mount-Multiclamp/dp/B00009UT18/ref=pd_sim_p_5]Amazon.com: Shoe Mount Multiclamp: Camera & Photo[/ame]

I want to buy that unit but the shoe mount is grayed out meaning, most likely, it doesn't come with the kit. I've found shoe mounts, but they don't show or mention the pin that would hold it to the mount.

I don't want to order this stuff only to find out when it arrives its missing components I need to mount my Speedlite, umbrella, etc.

Can someone point me to a complete kit?

Thanks!

it doesnt look greyed out to me... the mount itself is silver in color... i have the same umbrella swivle holder... didnt get it from amazon though, i got it from a local shop.. it came with the mount

Doesn't look greyed out to me either. You can always return it if it doesn't come with it, amzon is great with returns (from my previous experience).

it doesnt look greyed out to me... the mount itself is silver in color... i have the same umbrella swivle holder... didnt get it from amazon though, i got it from a local shop.. it came with the mount

I have this mount from Amazon (shipped from Adorama I believe), it comes with the shoe mount. It is made of metal. Make sure to put a bit of electrical tape over it so that it does not scratch your contacts or cause a short in your flash.

Thanks guys. I ordered it.

For future reference if you plan to buy more strobist gear...

Midwest Photo Exchange: Strobist Gear

FlashZebra

How are you going to trigger the flashes?
Thanks, I've book marked that site!

Right now I'm just going to trigger the slave with the 580 mounted to the camera until I figure out what triggers I want. I keep thinking about trying the Cactus triggers but read mixed reviews.

What's a good trigger for around $100 to $150, or does such an animal exist?

Right now I'm just going to trigger the slave with the 580 mounted to the camera until I figure out what triggers I want. I keep thinking about trying the Cactus triggers but read mixed reviews.

What's a good trigger for around $100 to $150, or does such an animal exist?
I use CyberSyncs. Most of my shooting buddies use them and no one had any complaints so I went with them too.

A few of my shooting buddies use PocketWizards, but those are way too costly for me.

The new PocketWizard MiniTT1 Canon and FlexTT5 Canon look really promising...may have to upgrade to them in the future.

LOL...

Like I said, brain fart.

Each PW is like $169 each and it would take two of them to do one remote flash, right? The descriptions aren't super clear on most of these trigger units on the pages that sell them.

It also appears they are the same units, they just automatically determine if they are master or slave, right?

How do they connect to the flash? Is is via wire or is there a shoe mount I'm not seeing? If there no shoe mount, then you have to buy one of those stand heads that has two mounts, one for the PW and one for the flash... right?

Each PW is like $169 each and it would take two of them to do one remote flash, right?
Yes. I couldn't afford the PWs so I went with the CyberSyncs instead. They cost about $70 each unit (the newer units cost $90 but they are designed to work with a commander module that isn't available yet).
It also appears they are the same units, they just automatically determine if they are master or slave, right?
I'm not familiar with the PocketWizard Plus II units so I'm not sure if they do it automatically or if there is a switch on the body. Each unit is a transceiver so they can send and receive signals.
How do they connect to the flash? Is is via wire or is there a shoe mount I'm not seeing?
You use a sync cord between the PocketWizard and the Speedlite. Depending on the Speedlite you're using, some have a PC connection and some don't. The ones that have the PC connection you can connect directly to the PW via the sync cord. The ones that don't have the PC connection will require a PC to flash hot shoe adapter like this. The adapter connects to the PW via the sync cord and the PW mounts like a normal hot shoe.
If there no shoe mount, then you have to buy one of those stand heads that has two mounts, one for the PW and one for the flash... right?
No, it's not necessary. The PWs have a place you can connect a strap so you can hang the PW from one of the tightening knobs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back