question about High iso and Image sharpness

enerlevel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok so i am planning to get my wife the best camera deal as possible without spending a lot. initially it was 100d with a tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens...
but today after doing some research, i see that DXO still rates Nikon D90 much better than the modern 100D.
one of the main ratings we looking at is low light... D90 is 977 and 100D is 681. but does this also mean that the D90 is also be sharper at the same given ISO?
so for example if we compare two images at ISO 100 and then ISO 6400, d90 images will be both sharper and lower noise than 100D?

The D90 has larger pixel size and Nikon's APS-C sensors are a tad bigger than Canon's crop sensor. So its quite possible that it might have lower noise at high ISO but remember the 100D is a newer camera and the ISO can be pushed to 25,600 vs 6,400 of the D90. In terms of sharpness, you can get sharp results from either camera. The D90 was and still is a good camera, but its outdated.

Hope this helps.

My wife had the d90 for 5 years, it was and still is a good camera but I agree with the post above that new technology will be hard to beat on ISO performance...

Hi all and thanks for the reply...
Both the 100D and D90 tops at 6400 (max auto iso limit) so I guess that should not be a problem...
Yea I was thinking the same as 100D being more modern but looks like according to dxo, D90 is better in all areas ... altho I am not sure about sharpness...

I'm sure they will both take sharp pictures but I can say from experience the D90 definitely takes sharp images but with any camera body a lot will depend on the lens quality.

For example I took this shot with the D90, great camera!

Vincent (Small).jpg

Hi all and thanks for the reply...
Both the 100D and D90 tops at 6400 (max auto iso limit) so I guess that should not be a problem...
Yea I was thinking the same as 100D being more modern but looks like according to dxo, D90 is better in all areas ... altho I am not sure about sharpness...

Actually I think the D90 tops out at 3200 for auto ISO.

ISO doesn't really affect sharpness...

If you're looking at the 100D, then you should be looking at the D3300, not the D90.

ISO doesn't really affect sharpness...

If you're looking at the 100D, then you should be looking at the D3300, not the D90.
since when?

since always?

no. sorry, that's rubbish.

Not sure if iso effects sharpness but I can say that the a7s high iso files are not very clean.. but it has sharpness and because of that u can apply heavy noise reduction ...
It's still very strange to believe that so many years old d90 is still better than the current canon camera sensors...

Most reactions

Back