Question about how to take a certain type of picture

gabe94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a picture of a really cool dock, but i know a lot of it had to do with the camera settings. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what those settings might be?
IMG_0007.jpg

the camera settings are based on the lighting and the "vision " of the photographer.

then add post processing and then you have a photo you admire.

I don't mean to sound rude, but one can't just plug in numbers and come up with the same shot. It takes understanding your equipment and how to get it to do what you want.

yes, you can take that information and put your triopd in the same spot, and you may have something similar but it can look very different.

for example. light moves very fast and it is the light that can make or break an image. Then different cameras have different color senisitivity which will give a different look. Then add post processing, and the vision of the photographer.

... i know a lot of it had to do with the camera settings. ...

Actually not. There's nothing special about the camera setting except that a small aperture was chosen to provide the large depth of field. It was also carefully focused, probably manually, to make the best use of that depth of field.

The significant elements that make the picture are the very careful composition. Its very accurately centered on the dock, the horizon is very carefully leveled, and the horizond is placed at a well chosen point vertically to create a pleasing composition.

The other major element was the choice of time of day and particuar day. The weather provided nice clouds and the sun position provided lighting that accentuates the texture in the wooden planks and rails.

There's nothing special about the exposure. Its certainly not an HDR image, or least a skillfully done one. Way too much of the cloud detail is lost. I can't tell whether this was present in the original or not. It certainly is in this downsampled copy.

The tinted B&W characteristics are not from camera settings either. They are produced in post processing.

Hey guys/ladys,

thanks for all the help. I am a beginner photographer and don't know lots about how to take different styles

Hello, to me it looks like an HDR

I have to second this (sorry Dwig :D). It's not a good one just as you said, the sky should have more details in it but the dock itself looks very much like an HDR to me. Or the photographer has used some other HDR-ish post processing to it, while pushing the limits of the dynamic range in the original (RAW) file.

I may be wrong but it's interesting trying to analyze this ;)

Hello, to me it looks like an HDR

PS: as a first post

1. introduce yourself
2. say "hello" maybe

what helpful advice..

to me it looks like a combination of exposure blending by bracketing exposures and post processing

I say the White Balance was set at very high Kalvin temperature and tint more towards the green side (in PP) Also some sharpening maybe.

It's nice...I agree about the sky, but still, it's an appealing image.

Did you take the photo yourself or is it someone else's work?

Most reactions

Back