Question about Lighting of the Formals...

AprilRamone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apriloharephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many of you pros actually bring a lighting set up to do the formal shots at weddings? I've been using my flash, but I really hate how it looks for the formals. At my brother's wedding, the photog brought this huge set up and it took FOREVER to do the photos after the ceremony. Of course, it was a Catholic ceremony so maybe people were just expecting everything to take FOREVER anyway:) But, I was just curious to see what other people are using because I did use my light set up once because the church was too dark to use only flash and it really didn't take too long. I'm thinking that once I can afford an assistant, it might be the better route to go...
-A

Well for me it ws only ever just 1 light and occasionally a second strobe. As far as the time goes depending on the type of shots the B+G want it may just take forever these things just take time.

Hi April,
We bring in Lights set to pocket wizards. Usually one is positioned about 6' high behind camera, and the second is set slightly higher off to one side or another. Both accompany flash on custom bracket set about 1.5 ft off of main camera.
Hope that helps.

Consider getting a smaller rig, using pocket wizards or ebay triggers to fire speedlights on light stands. Much lighter, all run on batteries, quick set up and tear down, and more than enough power and versatility for any situation.

Old guy here.... I'm still using hand held strobes with the second one firing by slave. It's very quick... no set-up, no stands or cords to snag feet and legs.

And, of course, I do "drag the shutter."

-Pete

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
im thinking to go the speedlight route myself, sure they are stupidly expensive, but I allready have one so im halfway there. and the stands wont fall and kill someone since their only what 3 pounds.

so, as long as I can trigger the light behind me with a radio trigger
it should pop the other one as long as its in view right ? (IR)

anyone recommend stands designed to easily hold speedlights?

Thor, yes new speedlights are expensive, but any old speedlight that can be set to slave will work. You can buy them for Nikon SB24s for <$100.

SB-28's have a zoom head to 70mm and variable power to 1/64th. SB-80's to 1/128th and zoom out to 105mm. I got two of each off of ePay for under $100 each. Pocket Wizards are expensive ($180 or so) but worth the investment if you are doing work for pay and need the reliability. All fit in a smallish case w/4 super clamps for location gigs. New Sunpak 383's are as powerful at about $90 ea. but lack the power settings (1/8th) and don't have the zoom head. I carry a couple old ones as backups. A few lightweight stands can be bungied together and it all is a nice portable but powerful kit. I would suggest a double set of rechargeable AA batteries if you shoot a lot of location stuff, they will pay for themselves quickly.

BTW, if you don't already have one, a decent flash meter is real handy. Set each flash independently so all have about equal light output at the subject/s, then turn them all on and take another reading. Gossen makes a good one for a reasonable price, but Sekonic has the pocket wizard transmitter internal and can trigger/meter at the push of a button.

Most reactions

Back