Question About Resizing?

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by pugnacious33, Dec 7, 2008.

1. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Take a look at the following pic. Do you see how the red lines on the boat are broken. This happens occaisionally when I resize a photo. What causes it and how do I prevent it?

[​IMG]

It doesn't happen every time I resize. I'm using GIMP, and usually resize after doing all my processing, which usually involves a slight unsharp mask and maybe a tad saturation or contrast adjustment.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do a 100% crop of the area, I dont see the problem your referring to. H

3. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm, that is strange, i wonder if it is not my monitor.

Here are two 100 percent crops, first is the original, which looks clean to me, and the second is of the reduced version, where i'm seeing the jagged red line. I see it in these photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's a little hard for me to see, having the second shot the same physical size of the first would help my eyes... but, if I under stand right, try playing with the Resize Resampling method(s). I've never used GIMP, but my editor has options to resize in

Weighted Average (which I use mostly)
    Smart Size
    Bicubic
    Bilinear
    Pixel Resize

I can't regurgitate what they all mean, other than some fit different sources better than others. Weighed Average seems to do the best in photos, so I just leave it there.

Try GIMP's help file and see if it has something like that; it may fix what you want.

5. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks tworails, but I think I just accidentally solved this problem. GIMP does have the scale options that you mention, but the same thing was happening regardless of which I chose. I got to looking around and found a "scale" option under the transform tools. Tried it and it worked perfectly. Must just be a quirk in GIMP.